• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Designing simple poetry & prose book

New Here ,
Jan 27, 2020 Jan 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am going to put together an anthology of students' poems and prose.  Each author will be in a separate document so I will be managing this with an Indesign Book file.  Since the book is going to be bound, I would like the inside margin to be a bit larger (1/8" - 3/16") than the outside margin to account for the binding.  Thus, I will need 2-page masters.  But, as I understand the use of two-page masters, if a document is an odd number of pages Indesign will insert a blank page at the end of the document in order to begin the next document on an odd page number.  But, I would like the next document to begin right after the previous one, without the addition of a blank page (for conservation reasons).  

The only way I can see to get around this and still allow for different inner margin and outer margin is to create 3 masters:  even-page master for the first page of a document if it starts on an even page number, an odd-page master if the document begins on an odd page, and then a standard 2-page master for the subsequent pages of the document (if there are any).  However, this 'solution' requires that I manually assess and incorporate the correct first-page master for each document depending on whether it starts on and even or odd page.  Clearly Indesign has a better solution than this, but I just can't find it or figure it out.  Woiuld someone be willing to point me in the correct direction to an elegant solution?

Many Thanks!

-- Steve.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 28, 2020 Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Facing pages document, just one master with left and right pages.

You are building up a book where you will have facing pages, and I think you want an inside margin (just one) slightly bigger than the outer one value.

Pick up any magazine, that's the same situation just one value for inside and other for outside margins.

Thus you should get all the documents with the same ouside and inside margins set as facing pages. Then add them to a book, (do not include blank pages betwwen them).

Just one two pages Master page (spread() is needed for all the documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But, as I understand the use of two-page masters, if a document is an odd number of pages Indesign will insert a blank page at the end of the document in order to begin the next document on an odd page number.

It depends on how you intially setup the Book Page Numbering Options. If you choose Continue from previous document, and check Automatically Update Page & Section Numbers, you can have the first document containing page one be 3 pages, with page 1 starting on the right, and the 2-3 spread starting on the left. Then the subsequent documents can all be 2 page spreads, and they will all automatically start on the left:

Screen Shot 9.png

The 2nd two page document displays as a spread

Screen Shot 10.png

The last document includes the book’s back page, and needs to be 3 pages:

Screen Shot 11.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Holy ****!  That worked 🙂

I could have sworn I did that once before but it didn't work.  I am so glad I posted here.  I'm sure you understand how much time and aggravation you both just saved me doing it this way.  So many Thank You's!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Proses

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines