Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Different paragraph styles in threated frames with linked word-file

New Here ,
Jan 23, 2023 Jan 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I'm new, both to the community as to Indesign :).

Let me first describe what I'm trying to achieve; I have a word-file which is linked to my ID-file. The text is spreaded throughout a few frames, a so called threaded text. That way I generate a few titles (on different levels) and plain text. 

To generate different sizes and fonds, I created some paragraph styles which I linked to text boxes in a master (or parent). Till then everyhting seems to work fine. When I type random text in one of the text boxes it indeed is in the style, according to the paragraph style.

But now the problem occurs; when I work in a page (based on the master) and I link the word file to the text frames, all the frames get the same paragraph style. The one which is used in the first frame. I can manually switch the other frames to the correct styles, so it looks good on first sight. But when I afterwards change something in the word-file, and update the link in my ID-file, all my text frames automatically change back to the paragraph style used in the first text box.

Does anyone have a solution for this problem? 

Already many thanks!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is normal behavior for placed text -- it comes in either with no style or with the styles assigned in the application where it was created, and updating linked text files loses any formatting you do inside InDesign.

The best option is to define and use styles in Word to begin with, then map those styles to InDesing Styles on import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, thanks for the quick reply.

So, even though the paragraph styles are directly linked to the text frames (in the master/parent) they get overwritten by the word-associated styles?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
  1. Don't put text on master/parent pages.
  2. Check, if character style overide paragraph properties. Check it in InDesign, check it in Word. Word has not a clean separation between paragraph ans character style as it happens easily that character styles are applied instead or additional to and of paragraph styles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines