Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Difficulties with pages and templates in InDesign

Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I have some difficulties with pages and templates.
When I change my document from spread to single pages InDesign overwrites the pages to left pages. I can't overwrite my templates anymore. It's very disturbing, because it always was easy to do.
Someone can please help me?

Kr, Cinda.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why do you have text frames on the parent page?

Why so many columns?

If you change from facing to single pages, delete the spread pages you do not intend to use.

Are layers locked?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Will, Many thanks for your reply to my question.
Please be kind to read along with Peter Spier.
I received a document with facing-pages. When I made it non-facing pages (single pages) the master pages of the right side weren't used on the even number pages in the document.

Kr, Cinda.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Delete the left parent pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kr, Cinda,

could you be more specific?

What I take from your post: You had a facing-pages document and converted it to a non-facing-pages one.

And something went wrong with your parent pages.

Do new parent pages with the appropriate contents.

Remove the superfluent pages in your parent pages spreads.

Then apply the parent pages to your document pages.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe,

Many thanks for your reply. Please read along with the reply of Peter Spier.
Yes, I converted a facing-pages document to non-facing pages document.
Only the left side masters were used on the document. On even and odd numbers.

Kind Regards, Cinda.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you change the document setup from Facing pages to Non-facing (single pages) InDesign uses only the first page of any Parent/Master page spread unless you actually create a multi-page spread within the document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Yes, that's the answer I was looking for.
But, since when is this? I can't remember ever had this kind of difficulties with InDesign.
You could easily made it facing or non-facing pages.
The parent applied to the even and odd numbers according to the parentpages, both sides.

Now I have to make different parents for the even and odd pages after the document was ready in spread, but gives difficulties in PDF (images which are covering a spread can't be a single PDF due to bleeds)
Hopefully you understand my English well enough to explain the situation.

Kind Regards, Cinda.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not create single-page parent pages* and apply them before you convert your document. 

*For example, one for the left and one for the right pages--or just one single-page parent for all pages. 

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you David for your answer. I always make my magazines and books in spreads. Never in single pages. It limites my creativity if I have to work in single-page pages. It's a mystery to me why I can't make them single-page after worked in spreads. This used to be available. Isn't it? Or is my memory false?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

99% of my documents are 2-page spreads too. I don't think the behavior is anything new, but I rarely need to do what you are doing. 

BTW, is there any reason you can't just keep them as spreads? You can make the verso/recto parent pages look the same.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A document with facing pages is made of single pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure how long master pages have worked this way. I suspect forever. The earliest version I have installed on this computer is CS6 and that's how it works there.

My guess is you are either misremembering your earlier experience or your master pages were configure identically on both left and right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines