• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Disabling the consolidated Menu View

New Here ,
Aug 12, 2022 Aug 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue seems to do with InDesign when its on a 4K monitor with Zoom setup. Im not sure if its a bug but essentially when I click dropdown menus such as the Object one it will not display all of the items in the list. Instead it adds an arrow to the top and bottom and a shortened list of items that i have to scroll through. The frustating part is that the menu has almost half a screen of room still to of been able to display the full menu so there is no reason for it to do this... And additional if i move InDesign to my other screen which isnt 4K all of the menus appear to be full length without shortening them and the up down arrows are not present. It also will do it on Right click contextual menus. It gets extreamly frustrating when you have to right click multiple things seperatly to do the same takes and the option is at the bottom of this list... you have to continually scroll back down bc the menu resets back at the top every time.

TOPICS
Bug , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 12, 2022 Aug 12, 2022

It seems as if we should have identical results; I wonder if there's another setting somewhere causing your menu collapse. I know there are too many overlapping/redundant settings. I hope the issue sorts itself out (globally) over the next few years, instead of largely being patches to accommodate screens much larger than those of the original code/design.

Reminds me of the early days when way too many apps were hard coded (at the bare metal level) for 80x25 text screens. 😛

—

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I'm working on 2 or monitors - main one with the highest resolution is for the document - 2nd monitor - usually with lower resolution - is for panels and options. 

â–’â–º ID-Tasker / ID-Tasker Server - work smart not hard â—„â–’

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This method could be helpful except for right clicking an option where the context menu will still come up as compressed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only if you have so many options in the context menu 😉

In case of the main menu - as per your screenshot - you should be able to separate document's window from the application - I think? (replying from my phone so can't check but 100% you can do it in Photoshop) 

â–’â–º ID-Tasker / ID-Tasker Server - work smart not hard â—„â–’

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not happening for me (4K main monitor, Win11, NVidia graphics). But I've seen this behavior and it's definitely limiting for productivity.

The whole issue of scaling UIs to the vast range of systems and variables has become... annoying. Probably just as annoying for developers. 🙂

Have you tried adjusting the screen scaling in the OS? That's they only way I've found to have a fairly balanced display across three very dissimlar monitors.

—

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This only happens when i increase the Display scaling to 150%. At 125% it doesnt do it. But whats frustrating is the amount of space i still have below the menu so its just not realizing that at 150% my screen still has plenty of room to be able to fit the additional menu items. Yes i could keep it at 125... but that extra 25% help my bad eyes... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Odd, I'm running at 175 (with some app adjustments as well). No collapsed menus. (That's 175% at the system level; Small in User Interface Scaling).

—

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very odd... I have those same settings in INDD but with windows at 150%. The Solution I found that isnt 100% ideal but does work is to go into Edit>Menu and hide some of the lesser used features in the few drop menus that were causing this issue and now at least the items i always use are there. Interestingly enough when i click show all it will actually show me the full list without drop arrows.

Thank you for all your input! I really appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It seems as if we should have identical results; I wonder if there's another setting somewhere causing your menu collapse. I know there are too many overlapping/redundant settings. I hope the issue sorts itself out (globally) over the next few years, instead of largely being patches to accommodate screens much larger than those of the original code/design.

Reminds me of the early days when way too many apps were hard coded (at the bare metal level) for 80x25 text screens. 😛

—

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines