• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Disappearing custom workspaces

Explorer ,
Dec 14, 2022 Dec 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I've created custom workspaces for InDesign and Illustrator.

More often than not, no workspace is visible when I open the apps.

I have to pick a standard workspace like 'Essentials', let that load, and then I can choose my own space instead.

Kind of annoying!

I'm using latest versions of all apps, on a 2021 M1 iMac with 16GB RAM. I have a second monitor connected.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's how I would approach it (I'll use InDesign as an example):

Restore InDesign preferences and caches. Here's a good description: 

https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-indesign-rebuilding-preferences-cache/

Open InDesign up, and before opening any file, set up your panels the way you want in your custom workspace, and save that workspace.

Quit InDesign and when you open it, it should be set up the way you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I’m looking for a solution that doesn’t involve deleting and remaking preferences and workspaces - I’ve tried that before and the problem still occurs.

Remaking the settings every time isn’t any sort of adequate fix.

Regards
Mike
--

Michael de Young
Director
Shed 13 Limited

mob: +64 21 901 320
tel: +64 9 815 6315
13 Tranmere Road
Sandringham
Auckland 1041
New Zealand

DISCLAIMER: The content of this email is confidential and may contain legally privileged information intended only for the individual or entity named above. Access to this message by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not the intended recipient, please be advised that the use, distribution and publication of the above information are prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please contact Shed 13 Ltd by replying to this email or by calling one of the phone numbers listed above. Shed 13 Ltd accepts no liability for any loss caused either directly or indirectly by a virus arising from the use of this message or any attached file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 22, 2022 Dec 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue isn't confined to InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator are similarly affected. So it's not likely to be an app-specific issue that can be solved by continually rebuilding preferences.

What I have noticed is that if I leave my second screen off while the apps are starting up they seem to behave. So maybe it's a platform issue for the developers to address?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you running your account as an admin? If its multiple apps like you are saying, its most likely a read/write permissions error on the perferences/system folder itself.

The other thing to try is to go to Apple System Preferences/Security and Privacy and add the applications to the Full Disk Access list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Kevin, just tried the FDA route and so far so good 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines