• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Distorted fonts from Indesign export to EPUB

New Here ,
Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am exporting my Indesign file to EPUB (FIXED Layout). Many of the letters and words get squished together in the final product. My fonts are open type and embeded. This happens mostly to the italic version of Garamond but is not limited to that. It also happens to Apparat. Both fonts come from Adobe fonts. Any ideas? I have attached screen shots. Thanks!

TOPICS
EPUB , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like you're viewing them in a substandard EPUB reader such as Adobe Digital Editions. If you're on Mac or iOS/iPad use the native Books app. For Windows use Thorium Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, what viewer are you using to proof the EPUB docs? (Thorium is recommended.)

It looks as if you have some character formatting applied, at least to the second example. Are these defined character formats or spot overrides?

Both HTML/web and the EPUB format tend to squash the kerning/spacing at the right end of italicized words. It's inherent in the (fairly crummy) font management. The solution I use is to redefine the CSS style for italics and add a few px of padding to the right (padding-right: 2px;), but that does require editing the doc's CSS.

Finally, why are you using the limited FXL format, unless it's basically a picture book? Reflowable generally gives better results and is less... obsolete.

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you very much! I am doing Fixed Layout because this father of three hasn't found the time to learn how to format the reflowable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines