• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Do EPUB support Multiply Effects from InDesign?

New Here ,
Jul 13, 2020 Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I created a presentation in InDesign and I can create a pdf or link no problem, everything looks great. When I export it as an EPUB file, all Multiply effect are lost. See example attached - left is InDesign file and right is how to looks as an EPUB. Any advice appreciated! This effect is used all over the place! Thanks!

TOPICS
EPUB , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , Jul 13, 2020 Jul 13, 2020

Certain effects must be rasterized to work in an epub. In your case you must first group the background photo and the box (with the multiply effect and gradient), select that group, open the Object Export Options, and use the following settings:

rayek_elfin_0-1594670105938.png

This will render a rasterized version which will include the multiply effect. You MUST group objects that are affected by a blend mode for this to work: selecting the box by itself will NOT work, since the multiply effect affects both objects.

I take it t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not supported in EPUB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Certain effects must be rasterized to work in an epub. In your case you must first group the background photo and the box (with the multiply effect and gradient), select that group, open the Object Export Options, and use the following settings:

rayek_elfin_0-1594670105938.png

This will render a rasterized version which will include the multiply effect. You MUST group objects that are affected by a blend mode for this to work: selecting the box by itself will NOT work, since the multiply effect affects both objects.

I take it that you used the iPad Retina document template? In that case set the PPI to 72, which will render the objects to the exact required resolution for that device. If you used the ipad (non retina) document template, you would have to double that resolution to 2x72=144ppi, but unfortunately only 150ppi is available as an option - so select that value when working in a regular ipad document (unless your intention is to only target low resolution older ipad models).

Addendum: to speed up the process of assigning these export settings to objects, create an object style (which also features the same export setting category) and apply this style to the grouped objects. And/or activate these export settings for existing object styles, if required.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2020 Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant! This WORKED! The one thing I did not try was rasterizing the components as a group. Many thanks!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 14, 2020 Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you choose FXL ePub? (don't choose Reflowable ePub for this pupose.)

You might be better with InDesign's Publish Online, though you do need to be online to view such documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works! Thank you so. much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi !

Sorry, I'm have the same exact problem but have followed the instructions to solve this and nothing seems to work?

Nothing I do in the object export options has any effect, grouped or ungrouped.

Any help would be very much appriciated !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines