• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Do I need white under text or images that have a black background covering whole spread?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2022 Mar 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

I have no idea how to word my query so I will try my best!

I am creating a catalogue that has a JPG image as the background for each page which is black. I then am putting all my text and images/photos on top of this.

My question is, in order to have my coloured text and photos as strong/clear as possible when printed, do I need to be putting white text under my orange text and white squares under my photos? Because ultimately directly under the image is the black JPG so will it technicaly print the area of black JPG then the image on top of that? I hope that makes sense, I have no idea how to explain it properly sorry!!

Would appreciate anyones advice or experience if they have deisgned and printed similary before? I just dont want to go through the 24 page catalogue and placing white in if I don't actually have to 🙂

Thanks so much for anyones help in advance! 

TOPICS
Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sophie!

You description sounds clear and I think it will speak more if you show us a mock up of your idea. then we can speak specifically to th elements as you are viewing them as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Chris,

No worries - I have attached a mockup with placeholder images of what the general layout will be like. I have also attached the black jpg image that is the background. Hope that helps 🙂
Thanks so much for your time
SophieMockup.jpgBlack BG.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the slower reply here. Scott and Rob have the answers below! Let us know if you have any new questions that may pop up during your process. Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Looks like your white text is knocking out of the background image and there’s no Indesign black behind it, so you don’t need to worry about matching balcks. If the printing is going to be offset, there could be a trapping/registration problem with the small white text, but the printer should handle that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. The colours will knock out. You can see how your document will print by turning on Overprint Preview or using the Separation Preview panel.

Below you can see letters in different colours all over a rich black background (60,40,40,100). In Overprint Preview the colours are clearnly not printing on top of the black. Below you can see each separation as it will print.

Screenshot 2022-03-07 at 11.25.54 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much Scott for your expertise and images, trying to get my head around it all to understand but sounds like I should be all good without the white, thank you again! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @SophiePFG, in the case of the JPEG (or any other image format), you have to consider the output values of "black". If the JPEG has a black background, and you are placing on a black InDesign object, you have to make sure the output values of the image background and the InDesign fill match when they print:

Here Separation preview is showing the output CMYK values of InDesign’s default [Black] swatch and the image’s black background and they do not match.

Black.pngRGB.png

I can use the Eyedropper tool to sample the image background and get a matching InDesign fill:

Comp.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Rob thank you very much for your help and explanations, it is certainly helpful to me as I learn and understand this situation! Really appreciate youe time, thank you 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines