Hello, I have some troubles with using endnotes in Indesign. I would like to have that the second line of the endnote is aligned with the first line of the endnote instead of the numbering. How to do that?
Please find below an example how I would like it to look in Indesign. I have added as ell how it looks right now when the allignment of longer endnotes is with the numbering of the ennotes.
Thanks for your feedback!
Looks like you don't have a paragraph style for endnotes.
It is all to have the right formatting. For example:
And yes, there is a tabulator between number and text.
I tried to make a new paragrapgh with this settings but still it does not look like your example.
Show me your file, please.
it is fixed now, thnx
Here is how I would approach this:
1.) Navigate to the Endnotes page. Click in or select the first endnote. Navigate to the Paragraph view of the Control Panel. Note the 0s for the left and first-line indents.
2.) Increase the Left Indent value (I choose 0.25 in). Then decrease the First Line Indent value (I choose -0.25 in.). Play with the two numbers until you get the desired effect.
3.) Alt or Opt click the + button at the bottom of the Paragraph Style panel. Add a Style Name. Note that InDesign is displaying the values you selected in step 2, above. Enable Apply Style to Selection and click on OK.
4.) Finally, open Type > Endnote Options. Choose your endnote style name from the dropdown list. Enable Preview to see that InDesign has now formatted the rest of the endnotes for you, using the style you created in step 3.
Thank you! Done!
I can see from your first screenshot that you want superscript as formatting for your endnote numbers of your endnote texts. If you expect a clickable link from your endnote in the main text to your endnote text and also a link back in an exported PDF read this bug report where I also outlined a possible workaround:
Text formatting can break backlinking endnote texts to endnote refs when exported to PDF (Print)
Uwe Laubender, November 27, 2020
( ACP )
thnx it is solved now 🙂