• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Do the second line of the endnote aligned with the first line of the endnote instead of a numbering

New Here ,
May 30, 2021 May 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have some troubles with using endnotes in Indesign. I would like to have that the second line of the endnote is aligned with the first line of the endnote instead of the numbering. How to do that?

Please find below an example how I would like it to look in Indesign. I have added as ell how it looks right now when the allignment of longer endnotes is with the numbering of the ennotes.

Thanks for your feedback!

TOPICS
Feature request , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like you don't have a paragraph style for endnotes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I do not have a pragraph style. I tried to make a new paragrapgh style but I cannot find how I can come to a result that looks like the example below. Is it at tabs or indents and spacing I have to look for it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is all to have the right formatting. For example:

1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And yes, there is a tabulator between number and text.

2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to make a new paragrapgh with this settings but still it does not look like your example.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Show me your file, please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it is fixed now, thnx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 31, 2021 May 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @SW33:

Here is how I would approach this:

1.) Navigate to the Endnotes page. Click in or select the first endnote. Navigate to the Paragraph view of the Control Panel. Note the 0s for the left and first-line indents.

e1.png

2.) Increase the Left Indent value (I choose 0.25 in). Then decrease the First Line Indent value (I choose -0.25 in.). Play with the two numbers until you get the desired effect. e2.png

3.) Alt or Opt click the + button at the bottom of the Paragraph Style panel. Add a Style Name. Note that InDesign is displaying the values you selected in step 2, above. Enable Apply Style to Selection and click on OK.

e3.png

4.) Finally, open Type > Endnote Options. Choose your endnote style name from the dropdown list. Enable Preview to see that InDesign has now formatted the rest of the endnotes for you, using the style you created in step 3. 

e4.png

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you! Done!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi SW33,

I can see from your first screenshot that you want superscript as formatting for your endnote numbers of your endnote texts. If you expect a clickable link from your endnote in the main text to your endnote text and also a link back in an exported PDF read this bug report where I also outlined a possible workaround:

Text formatting can break backlinking endnote texts to endnote refs when exported to PDF (Print)
Uwe Laubender, November 27, 2020

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/42062446-text-formattin...

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thnx it is solved now 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines