• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Document keeps crashing

Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2022 May 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a program book that keeps crashing on me in InDesign. I don't want to lose the work in the document - can anyone help? Thank you.

TOPICS
Bug , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 05, 2022 May 05, 2022

Thanks - it is saved to the last point I was editing it - I always hit save with these larger documents I work on. I'll try the other option you mentioned. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would start with two things:

1. Save the file as .idml. Close the .indd file, open the .idml file and save again as .indd.
  2. If that doesn't do it, reset the preferences: https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-indesign-rebuilding-preferences-cache/

I had something similar happen to me two days ago on InDesign v17.2. I thought it was a corrupt file but the .idml conversion didn't help. I was able to open it successfully on another computer which lead me to rebuilding the preferences on the first computer. It's been fine ever since. If neither works, let us know. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Barb. How do I save it as an idml when it crashes upon opening? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Use the script to save as IDML without opening

// blindOpen_and_IDML-Export.jsx 

var _file = File.openDialog("InDesign-Datei"); // Select file 
if(_file != null) 
var d = app.open(_file, false); // Open file without showing it 
d.exportFile(ExportFormat.INDESIGN_MARKUP,  File(_file.fullName.replace(/.indd$/i,'.idml'))); // Export im IDML-Format 
d.close(SaveOptions.NO); // Close without saving 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @default2bqzl27hmlnq:

I'm sorry, I didn't see that you said it was crashing immediately on opening. In that case, saving as an .idml clearly is not an option. Try rebuilding the preferences. If that doesn't work, see: https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/troubleshoot-file-issues.html

This is also a good time to mention that looking ahead, it's a good practice to routinely use save as to save incremental backups—every hour or every day. You can create the incremental back-ups yourself or you can save to a cloud storage drive that will do it for you.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - it is saved to the last point I was editing it - I always hit save with these larger documents I work on. I'll try the other option you mentioned. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines