• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Document RGB used instead of embedded profile

Explorer ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an issue where i place RGB image with a profile embedded into it, but Indesign shows it as Document RGB even though my color settings say to used the embedded profile. The only way i can fix this is by opening the image in photoshop and overwriting the original image. Then it does include the image.

The main issue is that i have 20 DTPers who do not understand the difference between document rgb and icc based. So they dont get why it needs to be the embedded profile. It's also a hassle to do this ofc. This happens alot with Adobestock images. Is there some kind of setting I'm missing here? The info is clearly in the XMP. So why won't Indesign use it?

Thanks in advance

TOPICS
Bug , Feature request , How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 19, 2022 Sep 19, 2022

It opens with the srgb profile in Photoshop

Photoshop has a preference for using an EXIF profile if it exists—ID needs the profile to be embedded.

Screen Shot 48.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Tim De Vos ,

well, this is the following issue, I think:

Embedded ICC color profile vs only a statement about the color profile.

As you already found, one of the solutions is to open the images in PhotoShop and resave them.

The image file creator did not embed the color profile.

Instead somewhere in the file there is only a statement about the profile.

InDesign cannot read the statement but is looking for an embedded profile.

PhotoShop can do it when its preferences are at default and will embed the profile if you set the save options accordingly.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 15, 2022 Sep 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer.

Its to bad Indesign can't read this information. It is very important though...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Tim De Vos , You can also assign the profile from within InDesign—you don’t have to resave the file from Photoshop.

This image has no embedded profile so it falls back to the InDesign document’s assigned RGB profile for its assignment—sRGB in this case

Screen Shot 10.png

If I want to override the assignment I can do that by selecting the image and using Object>Image Color Settings... Here I’m setting sRGB as the profile override. The appearance of the image doesn’t change because it was already assigned sRGB via the document’s RGB assignment, but I could choose any RGB profile via Image Color Settings:

Screen Shot 11.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 15, 2022 Sep 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the detailed answer.

I know I can overwrite profiles in Indesign, but I didnt know you could assign profiles to images. Where can I find this feature?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 16, 2022 Sep 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Tim De Vos ,

as Rob already wrote:

Object > Image Color Settings…

What is your localized version of InDesign?
In my German version it is

Objekt > Farbeinstellungen für Bild…

You have to select the image or the container frame that holds the image.

That goes for pixel images. Like JPEG, TIFF, PNG or even PSD. Not possible with EPS or PDF or AI.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I misread his post. Thought there was another way to assign profiles to images. I just find it weird that some images do open with a profile in photoshop, but that profile doesn't get recognised by indesign. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The profile does have to be embedded—not just listed in the XMP. It might be possible to read an XMP profile, and assign it via Images Color Settings via a script. Links have a LinkMetadata property in the javascript API. Can you share an example JPEG?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A thought: if the problem is that the problem is just named, not embedded, then it's natural that InDesign can't use it. If that is the case, you can move the problem further by rounding up these stray profiles used by your colleagues, and installing them on your own computer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 18, 2022 Sep 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just find it weird that I don't get a pop up in Photoshop warning me there is no embedded profile. It opens with the srgb profile in Photoshop. But in Indesign it shows up as document rgb. Example of a stock image attached here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 19, 2022 Sep 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi@Tim De Vos ,

the issue is that Adobe Stock images do have no color profiles embedded.

That's a principle fault with the images there.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi@Tim De Vos ,

the issue is that Adobe Stock images do have no color profiles embedded.

That's a principle fault with the images there.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

By @Laubender

So there's no way to be sure what profile it is? Or are all images converted to sRGB when uploaded to AdobeStock?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It opens with the srgb profile in Photoshop

Photoshop has a preference for using an EXIF profile if it exists—ID needs the profile to be embedded.

Screen Shot 48.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By @rob day

Ah, okay. Thanks for finding this. But I can trust this EXIF profile Tag right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But I can trust this EXIF profile Tag right

I’m not sure you can "trust" any profile—there’s nothing stopping me or anyone else from randomly assigning a profile, or color correcting an image on a display with an inaccurate monitor profile. The creation date of the image is 2007, I can’t remember if browsers were even honoring embedded profiles 15 years ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah.. I doubt it. I normally check between Adobe RGB and sRGB. If the image seems to red with Adobe RGB i go sRGB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Tim De Vos said: "So there's no way to be sure what profile it is?"

Exactly. There is no color profile embedded. So…

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines