• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Does anyone know how to create a custom stroke in Indesign? I want it to be stars.

New Here ,
May 10, 2022 May 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am tasked with creating a custom stroke in Indesign that has to be stars. Does anyone know how I can do this in Indesign?

TOPICS
Bug , How to , Performance , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess you'd have to create the brush and draw whatever you want to draw in Photoshop, and then import (with transparent background) into InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not a task for Photoshop, but for Illistrator!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, sorry. I say what you explained under, good for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you can, actually. I've never done it before myself, but this article seems to offer step-by-step instructions

I had that one saved in my bookmarks as "custom stroke styles" from years ago, but actually now that I have read it more carefully, it looks like it's not actually possible to pull it off. I'm going to keep digging, though, as I am sure that this is not the first time I've looked into this question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I knew I had it somewhere! You can't actually add a "stars" stroke style, but the hack I remembered was posted by David Blatner, not by Barb Binder. You can use the Type on Path tool to fake up a custom dashed stroke.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 11, 2022 May 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I know this trick but you will agree that it is not actully a custom stroke: it will not automatically adjust if you resize the frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are several special strokes, which can be added. E.g. Woof, Feet, Lights, Rainbow (parallel lines) and some others. Only adding a new stroke will add such funny lines. But stars is not available.

The best way is to create it in Illustrator (don't do it in Photoshop!) and import it as AI file. Photoshiop would decrease Quality, rasterize and increase file size).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
May 11, 2022 May 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

InDesign don't have such a feature and as guys says here - you can use it Illustrator for it and do place .ai. 

Therefore - https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests/suggestions/20610502-cu... - add your voice here it can help for the future releases. 

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines