Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Does CS 5 Creative Suite run on Mojave 10.14.4

New Here ,
Apr 20, 2019 Apr 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I just purchased a new mac as my old one died.

My new mac runs Mojave 10.14.4.

I have CS5 creative suite design standard. Can I get this to run on my new computer?

I have had the run-around for 5 days from the online chat support team.

I just need a simple yes or no. PLEASE

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 21, 2019 Apr 21, 2019

Hi Lee-annw37348461,

NOTE: Officially the last version of Mac OS compatible with Adobe CS5 was 10.6.3, see: Adobe - Creative Suite 5 Master Collection: System requirements. Please be aware that Creative Suite applications are not supported on macOS 10.12 (Sierra) or higher and therefore, many of the Creative Suite installers may not function normally on macOS 10.12 or higher.

CS5 is pretty old software and Adobe has not tested it on any of the latest operating systems post-Mac OS 10.6.3. Hence it

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No..You can't run it on Mojave.

But you can downgrade your OSx -- download and clean install an older version which supports CS5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I don't think you can downgrade. New Macs don't run old Mac OS systems. You need to get an old, used, Mac, or upgrade your software to go with the new Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 23, 2019 Apr 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Test+Screen+Name  wrote

Actually, I don't think you can downgrade. New Macs don't run old Mac OS systems. You need to get an old, used, Mac, or upgrade your software to go with the new Mac.

True.

I managed to install CS5 and run it successfully on OS X 10.11.6.

No chance to run it on 10.12 or higher, I think.

Now our OP needs a machine that can boot up with OS X 10.11.6, even if it's installed on an external drive, or even better with e.g. 10.6.8.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2022 Apr 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running CS5 Creative Sute on OSX Sierra and with the exception of the file info tab, it works fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2022 Apr 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have run CS5 Photoshop on macOS Sierra 10.12.6 perfectly for years. Recently, Photoshop closed itself while opening a file, that it had created. I haven't installed anything significant on the computer. No idea what happened. Now, opening CS5 PS, it shows on screen and immediately closes. If anyone has any advice to fix this, please share whatever you can. (Other than spend ridiculous money to upgrade.) Thank you for any help you can.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2023 Jan 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would do the following. They will not harm your computer, I do it all the time.

———————-
Repair Disk Permissions:
I don’t think your version has you do this anymore:
1) Open Disk Utility.
2) Select your primary hard drive (ex: Macintosh HD).
3) Click on Repair Disk Permissions.
====================
Verify and Repair Disk:
Not sure if your version will let you do this. I believe this is for OS lower than 10.11.
This is in Disk Utility (First Aid for newer versions).
1) Click on Verify Disk. In most cases, it should not find anything wrong, and quit out of application.
If it does find something wrong, do the following to repair disk:
1) Boot into Recovery Mode. Shut down your mac, reboot, and hold down Command + R keys until Apple logo appears.
2) Open Disk Utility.
3) Select primary hard drive of your computer (ex: Mac Hard Drive).
4) Click on Repair Disk or First Aid, depending on your version of OS.
====================
RESET THE SMC:
1) Turn off your Mac.
2) Unplug the power cord from back of Mac.
3) Wait for 15 seconds.
4) Plug cord back in.
5) Wait 5 seconds, turn on Mac while booting into SAFE MODE (see below).
====================
BOOT IN SAFE MODE:
1) Turn off your Mac.
2) Restart and immediately hold SHIFT KEY down until you see a progress bar at the bottom of the screen.
3) Once in Safe Mode, reboot normally, without holding the Shift Key.
This will delete a couple of additional caches.
====================
DELETE CACHE FILES:
1) Press Shift-Apple-G
2) Type in exactly:  ~/Library/Caches
3) Bring contents to trash
4) Press Shift-Apple-G
5) Type in exactly:  /Library/Caches
6) Bring contents to trash
7) Press Shift-Apple-G
8) Type in exactly:  /System/Library/Caches
9) Bring contents to trash
10) Restart Mac and only then empty trash
====================
Reset PRAM and NVRAM
1) Turn off your computer. Disconnect all USB devices (except wired keyboards).
2) Turn on the computer and hold down Command-Option-P-R keys before you hear the startup sound.
3) Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
4) Release the keys.
====================
• Delete any iPhotos to their own trash
• Delete any duplicate iTunes songs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 21, 2019 Apr 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lee-annw37348461,

NOTE: Officially the last version of Mac OS compatible with Adobe CS5 was 10.6.3, see: Adobe - Creative Suite 5 Master Collection: System requirements. Please be aware that Creative Suite applications are not supported on macOS 10.12 (Sierra) or higher and therefore, many of the Creative Suite installers may not function normally on macOS 10.12 or higher.

CS5 is pretty old software and Adobe has not tested it on any of the latest operating systems post-Mac OS 10.6.3. Hence it may or may not work, you may also have compatibility issues.

However, you may try installing the product using the workaround given here: Installing Creative Suite on macOS 10.12 (Sierra).

Let us know if this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 22, 2019 Apr 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to what everybody else has said it should be pointed out that even if, by some miracle you could get CS5 running on Mojave, it is only a matter of time before either an update to Mojave or Apple's next OS will cause software as old as this to stop running altogether. Neither Apple or Microsoft ever design their newer operating systems to be backwards compatible with older software. On a new system the only way you will be able to count on a reasonable expectation of software performance (and, yes, even then there are sometimes problems) is to keep up-to-date. In this case it means getting a subscription to Creative Cloud and using the most recent InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 23, 2019 Apr 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, you can buy emulation software - like Parallels. Unfortunately, OS 10.6 isn't allowed to be installed as a Virtual Machine, but 10.6 SERVER version is, and it runs fine. You can find Snow Leopard (10.6) Server as sold on ebay, or on Amazon.

As I recall, although it wasn't officially supported, CS5 also worked on MacOS 10.7 Lion with few difficulties, if any. Starting with Lion, you are able to install that directly into a Virtual Machine, as long as you can get it from someone who downloaded it at the time (or, if you have an older OS version, you can download the update).

I run a Virtual Machine with 10.6 server, one with 10.9 Mavericks, as well.

Adobe Community Expert / Adobe Certified Instructor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 25, 2019 Dec 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been running my CS5 Design on Mojave 10.14.4 for quite a while now, mainly Illustrator CS5 and Photoshop CS5. There are popup dialogs when starting to say the application hasn't been optimised for the new OS, but it still works normally as far as I can tell. I'm able to make Illustraions and work with photos the same as before upgrading the OS. However, on my new Mac running Catalina 10.15.2 none of the CS5 suite will run at all so far, keeps telling me to contact Adobe for updated applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 25, 2019 Dec 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd chalk up the success so far to nothing but dumb luck. Those apps were written for 10.8 or 10.9.

But your luck has run out. Catalina will only run 64 bit applications and the CS5 apps are 32 bit. You'll need to move to Creative Cloud or find alternate applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2020 Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone here tried partitioning their Mac with one parition running the new system and the other parition running the old system that works with CS5?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2020 Feb 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not me (yet) but might try this... or buy an SSD to compliment the original HD to run similar. I have a mid-2011 iMac and had problems with CS5 crashing with High Sierra so now rolled back to El Capitan to try out. Thinking I will then try this parition idea or get another drive... or even wipe the disk and return to High Sierra with a virtual machine running an even older OS more suited to CS5 (Leopard/Snow Leopard). A supported browser is more preferrable for the main OS so High Sierra (newest OS my 2011 iMac can run) would be better on the main drive/partition (at least until Apple decides to blow it out later this year?!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2020 Apr 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been running CS5 on OS 10.11.6 for some time now with no problem, but I am being forced to upgrade to at least 10.14 in order to continue using my heakthcare provider's website - Grrr.

M-D-H, is your CS5 suite still working well on 10.14.4?   I use only PS and certainly don't need the expense of Creative Cloud for a lot of web design capabilities that I will never use.

Were you able simply to upgrade the OS with CS5 already loaded?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even if it works for someone else, there is zero assurance it will work for you. I also suggest you try the Photoshop forum if that's all you're concerned with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2020 Aug 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

M-D-H

I need to know is anybody using CS6 in Mojave 10.14.6? If so, I need to know if Photoshop and Illustrator works without any issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 29, 2020 Aug 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even is someone is successful with this that's not assurance it will be for you. Make a full a system backup before proceeding with that upgrade since the chances are that it won't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Q1: Yes my CS5 is still working as normal under 10.14.4 (Illustrator and Photoshop).

Screen Shot 2020-04-10 at 11.56.47 am copy.jpg

Q2: Not sure. I upgraded to Mojave, but my serial number didn't get transferred so I did a reinstall of CS5 from the DVD. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks

Do keyboard commands work for you in Photoshop?  Things like Command+shift+E to merge layers, or Command+S to save, Command+D to deselect, C to select the crop tool, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very good questions, looks like I may have spoken too soon.

Whilst Illustrator is working perfectly, no problems that I can find and all keyboard commands work, I can't say the same for Photoshop which has a number of problems.

They keybaord commands such as Open, Save etc work in Photoshop, but trying to resize the window or pasting in another layer and many other things are now causing it to crash. So the real answer is my Photoshop CS5 has some major problems working under 10.14.4 and would NOT recommend it. 

Update: I opened Photoshop CS5 and held down the SHIFT  ALT  COMMAND keyes while the blue logo screen was showing. This popped up a Dialog asking if I wanted to delete the Photoshop preferences file. I said yes delete it and now Photoshop is behaving itself much better. I can resize the window and move the toolbar without crshing. The keyboard shortcuts all seem to be working, can merge layers, open and save etc. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The updated comment worked for me (on Mojave, fingers crossed that the next jump will go fine). Out of curiosity - how did you find this solution? It reads like complete voodoo 😛

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2020 Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know someone is still interested in the answer but - yes, for me CS5 runs as good as it under El Capitan did. 
A clear install from Mojave 10.14.4 is crucial. Then a complete new install from CS5 and both worked fine. It has the same Problems like under 10.11. It worked under 10.14.6 as well.
Install the old Java Library and IL, ID and PS works good. Photoshop made some troubles - you have to put the app into the System Preferences > Universal Access and all is good. The only anoying thing is, the keyboard commands won't work in PS.
You have to work around it with the actions. And give the apps full harddrive access.
Hardware: Mac Mini, 2018, 32 GB RAM, 512 GB Nvme

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

horst-weisner, your post is quite timely for me.  I am being compelled to upgrade from 10.11.6 to OS 10.14 in order to access my healthcare provider website.

You say that "It has the same Problems like under 10.11. It worked under 10.14.6 as well."  Can you explain more?  I run 10.11.6 with no problems from Photoshop, including keyboard commands.

What would I need a Java library for?

you wrote, "Photoshop made some troubles - you have to put the app into the System Preferences > Universal Access and all is good."  Can you explain?  I don't know what that means.

Vielen Dank

BruceT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bruce!
I had 10.11.6 for a long time. IL, ID and Photoshop worked good. The only thing was the error messages when quit the program. When i bought a new mac I didn't know that i couldn't run my beloved El Capitan and i installed Mojave 10.14.4. Thats the minimum sytemrequirement for the 2018 Mac Mini.

When you use only PS you have to put the app there: 2 pics uploaded. Its german but the symbols are the same.
After that, PS works fine exept some of the key commands - they are a bit different or the OSX has occupied it.
Not the Save, Open, etc. commands. You can try to reconfigure it with a new set keycommands - and there you will see what is possible and what not.
PS_1.pngPS_2.png
The only error message is now when you quit the program. But this is the same like IL and ID did under 10.11.6.
And yes they are working under 10.14.6 as well. I updated it for test purpose.
Don't try Catalina - there is no way to run CS5 under 10.15!

Steps:

1. Clean install the osx or update it. (I had to do a clean install)

2. After a clean install when you start the app - follow the link in the message to the library (its an old one to run the CS5).

2. Put the app like the pics are showing you

3. Start PS - a message will appers either for the Java Library or that the app has to be optimized for the use. Klick ok for the optimized message

4. Enjoy PS

Hope it will work for you.
Horst

And for other users - of course there is no garanty that CS5 works on their/your systems.
There are hundreds of different system constellations - but in my case it works good.
Hardware: Mac Mini 2018, I5, 32G Ram, 512 SSD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines