• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Downloaded Font Style Change in Document After Computer Erase

New Here ,
Feb 07, 2023 Feb 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know what some of you may be thinking..."Why did they have to erase their computer?" As it may be relevant, here's a very long story made very short -- my 2015 "vintage" iMac is unable to update to the "modern" OS avaible, but attempting to do so makes the computer unreasonably and abnormaly slow.

I had an InDesign document backed up on an external hard drive. After the erase and reinstallation of the OS and other applications on the computer (to include some of the Adobe applications) successfully, I opened the file in InDesign and noticed that the font "Gotham" with a medium weight was still Gotham and medium, but for some odd reason it was italicized.

In an attempt to resolve this issue, I deleted the font from the Creative Cloud and reinstalled it. I then created a new document and using the Gotham and medium font in a text box, it came out as intended (not italicized), but after deselecting the text box, the text was highlighted in red, indicating an error. After going to Type > Find/Replace Font, I was able to "replace" Gotham Medium with the same Gotham Medium so it wouldn't show an error, but it did switch to appear italicized.

My apologies in advance if this has been answered before, but in my search in the existing discussions, the part about having to erase my computer seemed to be a unique compared to similar issues out there. I was helped by Apply Support through the fixing of my computer. So the erase was the last suggested resort and not something I did on my own.

Any ideas or instructions would be appreacited. Thank you much!

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 07, 2023 Feb 07, 2023

Soooo.. where did you get your Gotham? Gotham, as far as I know has never been a font offered through Adobe, cloud or otherwise, so if you uploaded them to your CC account, you must have had them on your computer originally.

Normally, I would suggest your font caches are corrupt, but since you say you erased and reinstalled System, they should have been regenerated as new.

Where did you install the fonts now? Through Font Book? or CC? or ... ?

Do the fonts appear anywhere locally, e.g. Font Book

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Soooo.. where did you get your Gotham? Gotham, as far as I know has never been a font offered through Adobe, cloud or otherwise, so if you uploaded them to your CC account, you must have had them on your computer originally.

Normally, I would suggest your font caches are corrupt, but since you say you erased and reinstalled System, they should have been regenerated as new.

Where did you install the fonts now? Through Font Book? or CC? or ... ?

Do the fonts appear anywhere locally, e.g. Font Book or other Font manager?

Having fonts in multiple locations will cause nothing but issues. i.e. if you have them in your Font Book locally and then also activate them in CC, or install them in your Document's Font folder, or InDesign' Font folder, they will clash.

Do they appear in other applications properly (e.g. Illustrator or Text Edit or Word)

Hopefully they are not Type 1, or aren't "converted" to OTF (as opposed to legitimate OTF copies from the vendor)

As far as System, what are you on now? The max for the 2015 iMac is either Monterey or Big Sur depending on which exact model you have.

Also: since you reinstalled System, check your Mac's System Prefs > Security & Privacy > Full Disk access and make sure your Adobe apps are there and checked. Without that, you will have issues with files on external disks and cloud-based storage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Gotham font came from a colleague...who is no longer a colleague. About 5 years ago. I have used it with no issues since, but SIR! I do believe you have solved this issue!!

No, Gotham is not offered through Adobe or otherwise. I had them installed in my Font Book from said colleague. I did not realize Font Book would pull from an Adobe application I was working in. So when in setting up my computer from the erase, I made the mistake of installing the font to BOTH Font Book and the CC.

As far as cache corruption, I don't know if that would show up running First Aid, but there was no malware on the computer when checked. And I did not try using the font in other applications as you suggested, but I would assume the same issue would manifest.

I do not know what you mean by "Type 1," but will search around educate myself on that!

I was able to keep the max OS for this computer, which is Monterey 12.6.3. 

Regarding your advice for Adobe Apps, they are not on the "Full Disk Access" folder, but they are checked in the "Files and Folders" folder.

What I did to solve this issue was delete the font from the CC. That simple! And upon reopening the document, all looked as it should. 

This is why I'm "new here," and you are a "Community Expert." Sincerely, thank you for your time and answer for this issue, while sharing some knowledge in the process!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad it worked out.

As for the "they are not on the "Full Disk Access" folder,". If they are in "Files and Folders, with all the appropriate boxes checked, you should be good. Better yet, add your Adobe apps to Full Disk Access... this is particularly helpful with network/cloud storage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines