• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Drive letters changed and now I have to change thousands of links to point to drive L instead of I.

New Here ,
Sep 03, 2022 Sep 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Drive letters changed with windows upgrade and now I have to change thousands of links to point to drive L instead of I. How can I automate this in InDesign. I have assembled many photo books and this could take me months. Panicking!

TOPICS
Feature request , How to , Import and export , Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Sep 03, 2022 Sep 03, 2022

I would remap drive L to drive I instead.

On Windows, this happens from time to time, when you plug in external drives. They take the next free slot on the first connection. Thereafter, the drive letter is sticky, except if you connect a different drive and that drive takes the slot. As you were on I and you are now on L, I suppose, I, J, and K are taken. To avoid this, I voluntarily used higher letters for critical drives (x, y, z), so that they don't get dislocated. In your case, it's too late

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Sep 04, 2022 Sep 04, 2022

We had a similar situation recently and solved it with Kasyan's script – see this thread.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/all-links-broken-when-files-moved-to-a-new-server/m-p/13125725#M487734

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't you remap your I drive as L drive? Just create new drive L linked to root directory of I drive. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would remap drive L to drive I instead.

On Windows, this happens from time to time, when you plug in external drives. They take the next free slot on the first connection. Thereafter, the drive letter is sticky, except if you connect a different drive and that drive takes the slot. As you were on I and you are now on L, I suppose, I, J, and K are taken. To avoid this, I voluntarily used higher letters for critical drives (x, y, z), so that they don't get dislocated. In your case, it's too late for that. Please find here how to change the drive letters on Windows 10:

• Disconnect the culprit drive, or change that one's drive letter before this (same procedure as described).
  • Reboot (VERY IMPORTANT).
  • Check that the "I" drive letter is free.
  • If your L: drive is not yet connected, connect it.
  • Search for "Disk management" on the start menu
    Abambo_0-1662246317860.png
  • Right Mouse Click on the drive, whose letter you want to change (here E:)
    Abambo_1-1662246440600.png
  • Chose "Change Drive Letter and Paths…"
  • Click change:
    Abambo_2-1662246546247.png
  • Chose one of the free letters (I in your case):
    Abambo_3-1662246587453.png
  • Disregard the upcoming warning and click "Yes".
    Abambo_4-1662246990432.png
  • It's done, you may want to reboot to see if the drive letter now sticks.

NB: If you looked well, you saw that my backup drive uses Z:. A second one uses Y: (currently unconnected). They will never conflict with other drives on my system.

Please tell me if this worked. In Windows 11 or Windows 7, you should proceed similarly.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The other folks responding in your thread are correct, but I'm going to guess that you don't have the power to remap your own drive letters, because it's something your IT department forced on you, and they're not going to make this really simple change for you. (I did a true legitimate double-take when I saw your post, because that is exactly what my own IT dep't. did to me in 2004 or thereabouts... even the drive letters in question were I and L.)

If I'm correct in my above suppositions, then this script by Kasyan will serve you well as a de-panic-ifier and general tonic. It is, overtly, a file-relinker for people who have lost links in a server migration. I used this other Kasyan script, which might work just fine for you, as all it does is change the drive letter. 

Because these scripts are ancient (written for CS3), you might need to make a folder in your Scripts folder called "Version 6.0" and run those scripts from inside that folder. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 04, 2022 Sep 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There are no legitimate reasons for the IT to force certain drive letters. Indeed, IT should use drive independant network paths. But yes, the IT can be stubborn. 

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2022 Sep 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We had a similar situation recently and solved it with Kasyan's script – see this thread.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/all-links-broken-when-files-moved-to-a-new-serve...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines