Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

Drop Caps

New Here ,
Nov 14, 2022 Nov 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a really difficult time isolating the drop cap option to only one paragraph. Whenever I apply this effect, it changes every character at the beginning of a new paragraph. I just want one paragraph to have the drop cap and the rest to remain normal.

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Drop caps are part of a paragraph style. You need to define a style that uses the drop cap and one that doesn't... for instance Body Text, and then Body Text DC.

You can't apply a Paragraph Style-based aspect to only one paragraph and should not use such spot or override formatting in ID in any case.

Does that make sense?

| Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Pro Guide (Amazon)

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because you've redefined Basic Paragraph style - it's the "default" ParaStyle - you need to leave it alone and create new ParaStyle for your first paragraph - then even more styles and assign them to the rest of the text - as per formatting you want to achieve.

I'm sorry but those are basics how to use InDesign 😞 You need to read more tutorials 😞

Can automate anything - as long as it doesn't require A.I.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Gabbie27072686ahzy 

As @Robert Tkaczyk and @James Gifford—NitroPress have rightly pointed out - there's one more part of wisdom I wish to share with you.

https://creativepro.com/beware-basic-styles/

Creating and using Styles is an important workflow step that shouldn't be overlooked.

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/paragraph-character-styles.html

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines