Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Drop shadow on Fixed Layout EPUB?

Participant ,
Aug 08, 2018 Aug 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.

I'm trying to export my text with the Drop Shadow effect as a Text Effect. But It's missing when viewing the EPUB. Even on the Window > Interactive > EPUB Preview within inDesign.

According to this article, it's possible as long as you apply the effect to the text:

https://indesignsecrets.com/text-shadows-in-fixed-layout-epub.php

So I don't know what I'm missing.

Thanks a lot.

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 09, 2018 Aug 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not all blend modes or transparency effects work. What are the exact settings you used.

A screenshot of the effects panel would probably help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Bob.

Here are the settings:

Untitled-1.jpg

I'm editing the CSS text-shadow property on the epub file as a temporary solution. But I'm still curious how it'd work in inDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is fixed layout epub, right? I just want to be sure you're not using reflowable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Fixed Layout.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2022 Jan 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem, was it resolved? I can select text but only one line of text not a text block and ad a shadow... what is the solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2022 Jan 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The other approach, which I just verified with some tinkering, is to use CSS to define either text-shadow or box-shadow, as you like. Both work in 3.0 reflowable EPUBs.

Editing a CSS file isn't really a workaround; it's the professional way to get control of things that ID (and other tools') export won't allow or won't do right.

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines