• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Duplicating master page (that is based on another master page) is producing un-editable content

Participant ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never seen this oddity (and very frustrating) mentioned anywhere... (maybe it's the version of Indd I'm using? 15.1.2 x64... and unfortunately, there's a legit reason we're still on this version...updating at this time isn't an option)

So, I have a facing pages, 2pg master "A-BASE Master" with pg # placeholder... see below screen capture.

Capture-A-Base Master.JPG

Then I have a B-... master page with other content, set to Based On "A-BASE Master"  (these are used in a book, so the A-BASE Master pages are synced through whole book, but not every doc in book uses the B-... master page because different parts of the book use different elements... So B-... looks like this:

Capture-B-master pg.JPG

Here's the part that's maddening: If I move or duplicate the B-... master page, the resulting master page is not a direct duplicate... it get's messed up in a significant way! And you can't move/edit the screw-up in any way! See what happens to the page # text frame... It shifts over to the left! 

Capture-screwUp.JPG

What!##%&@  And this is terrible in my book environment. Syncing the book in order to push these master pgs replicates the same screw-up in all the doc books... (because the syncing involves "duplicating") I also found the same thing happens if I Move the master pg from this file to another...

Has anyone else ever seen this and why would it be doing this?

TOPICS
Bug , Performance , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never seen anything like this. Does it happen in a new file as well, an old file, or just this one?

If it's isolated, I'd try exporting to .idml, then save that as a new .indd and use it as a replacement in your book.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 15, 2022 Sep 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's an old file... It does happen in other like files (sections in a book that use the same basic template/master pg, so yes it occurrs in those other files as well.) 
But I will try the .idml idea to see if anything changes. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 15, 2022 Sep 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I also discovered that it's the "Based-on..." that's in play somehow. If I 'untether' the B-... master from the A-BASE Master, then it duplicates fine. But if I set it back to B-... master Based On A-BASE Master, then B-... goes wonky when it's duplicated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines