Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dynamic, flowing, inline list of lecturers

New Here ,
Feb 20, 2023 Feb 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everybody,
as you can see in the picture, I have to lay a list of lecturers with photo and title: I would normally set up a table, since the titles can differ much in lenght from one another; the problem is: I must update the list almost daily and copy-pasting every lecturer in the following or preceding cell takes too much time.

• Pasting multiple text frames inline won't work because the frames should be aligned on top, while inline frames (with different heights) lie on the bottom edge;
  • Data merge doesn't help either: that would produce text frames with the same heights;
  • I tried the script CSVtoTables but it only works with the antire row, and I need the data to be repeated in every cell.

Any help would be very appreciated!lecturers_list.jpg

TOPICS
How to , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think your "inline frame" theory is worthy of pursuit.

I would do it with a 2-column text frame on each page, with an anchored text frame for each lecturer. I would set up an Object Style for the anchored frames that sets the Anchored Object Options to "custom" with the reference point at top-left, relative to the column edge...

JohnMensinger_0-1676896652705.png

...and the Auto-Size options set to Height Only, top-down.

JohnMensinger_1-1676896763739.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick reply.
That won't resolve my issue (already tried): I would need a blank paragraph every row to span the columns and create a new line (the lecturers go left to right, top to bottom); furthermore, the text frames would overlap themselves after the first two.
That's similar to what I'm doing right now:

Senza titolo-1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2023 Feb 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the reply, InlineMerge is a great script and I use it regularly, but it won't help in my case, since the frame have different heights and I'd have to move them down every time I do the merge.
Eventually I went with @John Mensinger's solution: I only have to drag down the new inserted frame so that it aligns with the other ones; and I just used a single column frame instead of two columns frame.
Senza titolo-2.jpgSo the thread can be considered 'solved', thanks both for the contribution; I just have a question for @John Mensinger: I tried to put the anchored frames in Custom position in the Anchored Object Options with the properties you suggested, why do they overlap each other at the beginning of the frame?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines