• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ebook export, ID putting two separate words together.

New Here ,
Apr 17, 2023 Apr 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm exporting a book into an ebook format (epub fixed). I see that ID put has two words toether. Pacific Ocean - into PacificOcean. Anyone seen this? Suggestions? The words are separate in the ID doc, and in the PDF I'm using to published a hard copy book.

NewProMacbook/OS Ventura13.2.1

~MLW

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which EPUB reader are you viewing this in?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both Apple and Kindle Previewer 3 - they both shows words together.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it doing this once (in a title, for example) or in every instance of the word pair?

Have you made sure it's a regular space (or other defined space) between the worlds? Try replacing it to be sure.

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was with InDesign tech support for well over an hour. They had control of my screen and we worked it and didn't fix it, frustrating. I worked on it some more by myself, ended up having to use other words - weird. And looking closer I now see it thoughout the Ebook doc - and not in the inDesign doc. Mercury Retro> WTF???? I'll keep trying, hacking around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fixed EPUB is not a reliable format in and of itself, and EPUB readers vary in presenting it even more than reflowable. There is no specific reason this should be happening; it's usually a collision of the format, the fonts and the reader.

If your goal is a Kindle edition to go with the print book, consider reflowable EPUB instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a graphic novel, it has to be fixed. Still not working in both Apple and Kindle reader. It just does it randomly, like with find cover = findcover, flying jets = flyingjets, fanel shirt = flanelshirt. I can fix it by using completely different words. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay. It's the font. Substitute another one for it that has better kerning info, and you'll likely solve the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2023 Apr 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JAMES - you did it! WTF - it was the font, I was using Courier New which I picked as a standard for Graphic Novel and Comic books. Thanks - strange that InDesign tech support wasn't able to catch it, suggest this fix. Now I have another day to rework everything. Check it out - by next week my first graphic novel in a trilogy will be avilable on Amazon. GRAFFITI WARS - When Art Saved the World. Thanks again everyone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Cool. Yeah, fixed EPUB is either fussy or crummy at font handling, your choice. If a font doesn't have just the right kerning info, it will do weird things. Fortunately there are many similar fonts. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the help everyone. Even InDesign tech support didn't know it was the FONT I was using. COURIOR NEW. Thanks James for suggesting it was the fonts. Whew.... back to the drawing board to change it all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines