• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Ebook Images not converting to dark mode in Kindle

Participant ,
Feb 02, 2022 Feb 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm creating a reflowable ebook from InDesign and while the text is fine converting to dark mode, two images will not show up. They are two pages of text that I've had to convert to images and the text fills in so the whole page is black instead of being white text on black. Is there a way of getting around this? I've tried it as a .png, jpeg, psd and pdf and nothing works.Thanks. 

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 02, 2022 Feb 02, 2022

I'm trying to recall any such problem and can't bring one to mind. ID-EPUB-Kindle is pretty good about managing images in a consistent way, so if JPG or PNG isn't working, that's not the issue.

Work through the options in the Conversion Settings menu; force conversion to JPG and PNG, to start with. That will make ID rewrite the image file in most cases. If not, try the other direction, check Use Existing Image in the Object menu, which will simply pass the original graphic file through to the as

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't think of anything related to image management from the ID/EPUB end that would be causing this; I'd suspect the Kindle reader. "Dark mode" is a relatively new addition to most screen tools and it doesn't always work with every document feature, depending on how it's implemented.

Are you using the most current version of Kindle Previewer? Do you have other books, projects or test files that work correctly in the way this one does not?

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for replying. I'm doing this ebook for someone else and it's the first time someone has checked in dark mode. She is checking on a Kindle. I have made ebooks before but never come across this. I'm thinking it must be the file type. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to recall any such problem and can't bring one to mind. ID-EPUB-Kindle is pretty good about managing images in a consistent way, so if JPG or PNG isn't working, that's not the issue.

Work through the options in the Conversion Settings menu; force conversion to JPG and PNG, to start with. That will make ID rewrite the image file in most cases. If not, try the other direction, check Use Existing Image in the Object menu, which will simply pass the original graphic file through to the assembled EPUB. One of those should fix it.

Always set JPG to Baseline, not Progressive. The latter is an outdated subformat intended for the old, slow web days.

And in the end, try the Big Reset: export the doc to IDML and reopen it to clear any possible document corruption, which can cause all kinds of weird results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try those and will update this post. It's evening here so will update in the morning. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I (we) will be here.

I just noticed — "she's checking it on a Kindle." How are you getting the document to her? One of Kindle's huge faults is that it's almost impossible to get a "real" Kindle document to a Kindle reader except through the listing/sales channel. All the alternatives are wonky and have limitations.

If it proofs for you on Previewer, it should work exactly that well on Kindles when it's a proper release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually I assumed she was checking on a Kindle because I'm checking on the Previewer (and it's fine). I didn't think you could check dark mode on Previewer. I will ask her how she is checking. Thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can select Black background on Previewer. How well that matches with how Kindle readers manage Dark mode, I don't know.

You can get files to Kindles, yes. But in my experience, even the ones that are theoretically in Kindle format show differences, in presentation and details, from what finally goes out the door to Kindle book buyers. The emulation/conversion is not identical and it can be frustrating not to be able to check a complex layout until you actually put it up for sale and snag a copy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to check everything you've mentioned. Thank you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 03, 2022 Feb 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, just to update, I did everything you listed above and it worked! Not sure what it was but thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually thinking about it I have had other people check these files on Kindles so I think it is possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines