• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

eBook Responsiveness

Community Beginner ,
Dec 31, 2020 Dec 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made an eBook using multi-state objects for modular navigation.

After a couple of minutes of not using the eBook, the interface buttons become unresponsive with about 12 seconds to wait before they respond.

Is there something i could do to improve this?

The issue happened on a previous edit, and I think that was fixed by placing the two layers with navigation at the top of the document.

Now, the issue has happened again, i think it might be due to using a third party plugin to "paste into all states" of an mso.

http://www.modalguitar.com ... Melody and harmony tutorial resources.
TOPICS
EPUB , Performance , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 31, 2020 Dec 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The term eBook is the generic term for digital documents covering a number of formats - which format is yours?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 01, 2021 Jan 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ePub, thanks for the clarification request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of InDesign and OS?

Presumable FXL ePub, not Reflowable ePub?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What epub reader app are you using to view this epub? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fascinating question, i like it.

i should mention however the issue is with the "paste into all layers" option made available by a third party script with InDesign.

after removing the two .psd images from nine screens of two two multi state objects that were placed using this third party script, the unresponsiveness of the ePub document is no longer happening.

Apple Books is the viewing software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is the problem, InDesign or with the EPUB itself?

I've had no issue at all with Object States Assistant, which I assume is the product you're referring to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no problem, thanks.

The multi-state objects are nested, and required a few weeks of thought and work to accomplish a functioning modular navigation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 02, 2021 Jan 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again Bob for your reply.

I found the unresponsiveness "issue" happened again tonight, and then just realised there were two versions of the same ePub file open at the same time.

It's most likely this was the reason for the few seconds of unresponsiveness, and not anything to do with the Object States Assistant. And nor is the placement of the navigation as regards layers in the project file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your choice of words is what's throwing this off.

These are not epub files but InDesign layouts that are targets for epub export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My inexperience shows, and yes, the style of communication was confusing.

I just realised the tutorial on multi-state objects that I found so helpful was in fact written by your good self, and so many thanks. To now have received your helpful responses on this thread is a great honour.

This may sound overly poetic, however the experience of designing a multi-state object eBook, that consists only of a single page, was one of the most challenging experiences I have ever embarked upon. 

Thankfully now accomplished and with a couple of months to gain clarity about the value, I hope to improve my work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll get no argument from me. It should be way easier but the interactive tools in InDesign were originally introduced with InDesign CS5 for use with Flash output. They've received close to zero attention since.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2021 Mar 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The idea of text layers being anchors does make sense to me now, in reference to how InDesign is based in book publishing to start with.

With a timespan of three months away from the work, I don't remember all the details of how it actually worked. Show/hide buttons did help some, and placing a multi-state object on a state of a multi-state object.

There are 9 chord types, these are on the top layer and use the Show/Hide command to show a highlighted variation of a chord type.

The next set of navigation controls (light teal coloured set of navigation controls) select from nine individual chord maps. The tricky thing here was that each chord map had the option of showing an arpeggio to use for improvisation with that. And each button also had a click state image. 

Maintaing the set of commands with each button action was difficult to maintain between different multi-state objects. I actually have forgotten how I accomplished this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you want to deliver this file to readers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first is actually free, and available here ...

https://www.modalguitar.com/chord-arpeggio-ebook

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines