• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Edit bookmark destinations from indesign

Explorer ,
Jan 08, 2023 Jan 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys, I have setup a list of bookmarks from my contents page on a document but just realised that they are all set to go to the 'contents page' (where I set them up from) which now makes sense, however, Can anyone tell me how i can edit the destination of each bookmark so I can set the correct destination page instead of 'contents page' where i created the bookmarks.

Thanks

Tony

TOPICS
EPUB , Feature request , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you build them initially? Did you allow the ToC generator to build them initially?

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike, thanks for your reply.

I copied line by line from my list of contents. I didn't use the ToC generator. I haven't use that before. Is that a better option than making bookmarks? The idea is to have the list of bookmarks in the final interactive pdf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't use the ToC generator. I haven't use that before. Is that a better option than making bookmarks?

Yes!

The Table of Contents feature will:

1. Type up the list of headings with their page numbers for you. You control their formatting and presentation. 
  2. Generate the booksmarks for the pdf for you. 

And when you edit the document (fix typos, add a missing section, move things around) it does it all again for you in just a few seconds. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Barb. I am current manually doing them but i will give the Toc a go. I did try uisng it just before but it didn't make the bookmarks. Must have missed a tick box. I will have a proper look now that i know it is possible.

Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried doing the toc/. It added the conetnts nicely but the bookmarks that are being added are all the same page, eg page 3. This is the contents page whre I am actuall making to the toc from.

Not sure what is going on there

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Create PDF Bookmarks checkbox creates the bookmarks in the PDF. They will be visible on any page of the PDF if View > Show/Hide > Navigation Panes > Bookmarks is visible. 

The TOC will also add hyperlinks to the generated list of entries. The user will be able to click on a TOC entry on the TOC page of the PDF and jump to the page with that heading in the PDF. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. The bookmarks it made were all the same page. Page 3. So teh hyperlinks are not correct. I am doing them manually again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something isn't right. Before you retype, relink or rebookmark, can you show us what you mean?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb, thanks again for your help. The document is only 36 pags so it was quickly to go to each page and set bookmark in this instance. It is all done and working well. I will try the TOC for next document and follow your tips.

Thanks again.

Tony

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A TOC should be dead-nuts simple (until you get into fancy combinations of style, content, etc.)

Delete all of your attempts at a TOC, including any text you may have entered.

On a blank page where you want the TOC to appear, click Layout | Table of Contents.

In the "Include Paragraph Styles" section, click Add to put just the styles (something like section or page headers, usually something like a chapter title) in the left-hand box.

Click OK, and place the resulting text box on the blank page. You should have a rudimentary TOC, with page numbers pointing to the pages where each of those selected header/styles is.

Repeat the process and set the styles under "Style" to get the layout and page number formatting you want.

It can get involved to get a TOC to look and be formatted exactly as you want, but these basics should give you that list, of TOC items with correct page numbers. Note that you do NOT have to do any part of this manually, such as type the list of entry items. The TOC feature does it all, and can be used to update/redo it endlessly until you get it how you want it. All control is in in the TOC menu, and in defining the component styles for the title, entry names, numbering etc.

If not, describe the problems you're still seeing.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines