• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Editable text as image mask with Background image? - In InDesign!

New Here ,
Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I'd love to make my workflow more efficient. Therefore I need editable headlines with a pattern on it, BUT have the freedom to have an image in the background. 

For example: I need a blackboard background and a headline with a chalk pattern.

This is client CI, so I can't use another font. 

This is easy to handle in photoshop by using a clipping mask. I have all my workarounds but would love to do it in InDesign, without always opening a PSD to change a Headline, or to vectorize the Headline in ID. 

Is there any way to do this? 😄 Thanks!

TOPICS
How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

It was more difficult as I thought but it is doable

Capture d’écran 2021-08-25 à 14.01.05.jpg

Here are the steps:

To make the process easier, the background image (the blackboard) is on a separate locked layer. On a top layer I have placed the chalk pattern image, then I have created a text frame over it with the same dimensions. The text is set in [Paper] and the frame is filled with [Registration].

In the Effects panel, for the text frame, see the settings below in French. I think that “Produit” is “Multiply” in English. It is import

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anna,

look into knockout groups or see

https://creativepro.com/creating-see-through-text/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Jens!

Yes, I tried this one. But it only works with solid background colors, I need an image in the background.
I'm trying to find a way to get a picture on the text, and on the background 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a screenshot of what you want to do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd love to be able to have the blackboard in the background, the chalk pattern on the type, and the font still editable. First picture with my elements, second with the result (via vectorized text)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was more difficult as I thought but it is doable

Capture d’écran 2021-08-25 à 14.01.05.jpg

Here are the steps:

To make the process easier, the background image (the blackboard) is on a separate locked layer. On a top layer I have placed the chalk pattern image, then I have created a text frame over it with the same dimensions. The text is set in [Paper] and the frame is filled with [Registration].

In the Effects panel, for the text frame, see the settings below in French. I think that “Produit” is “Multiply” in English. It is important to select the “object” line before you tick the “Groupe perçant (knocked out group)” checkbox.

Capture d’écran 2021-08-25 à 13.56.19.jpg

Then select the text frame and the chalk pattern frames and group them and choose “Lighten” in the Effects panel for the group

Capture d’écran 2021-08-25 à 13.55.54.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This. is. amazing.

You are a hero!! Thank you so much!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines