• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Eliminate TOC title heading?

Community Expert ,
Oct 14, 2021 Oct 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone have a technique for creating/updating a TOC without the title? (Let's say I prefer to use an external or art heading and not the auto-generated or embedded one, and I don't want to manually delete it each time.)

The only solution I've found is to leave the Title field blank and assign it to a null (non-printing) style. (Even at that, I often have TOC setups fail to retain the Title style setting, with it reverting to [No Paragraph Style] on each update.)

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢
TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 15, 2021 Oct 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A part from what you have already come up with - no I don't think it is possible.

One way to do it would be to scrap the TOC method and build your TOC using Cross References.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axvBxL4AfXU&ab_channel=Nukefactory

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 15, 2021 Oct 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, it's not worth nearly that much trouble. 🙂

My goal was finding a way to put the Contents head in the main text flow as the anchor for the actual TOC, for a tidy way to apply conditional text and drop the TOC (for a print destination) out from an EPUB destination. Using a superflous paragraph as anchor has its own issues, and anchoring to a prior paragraph can create a mess when the conditional is flipped in and out.

But the blank field and assigning it to a null style (1pt/1pt leading) works fine.

I also discovered why I was having trouble saving the TOC 'style' (a misleading term, really)... I had an ampersand in the style name and ID quietly fails to save such names.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines