• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Embed fonts 17.01 vs 17.4

New Here ,
Aug 30, 2022 Aug 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have used the "subset fonts when percent of a character used is less than" feature for over a decade. It is very important to our business for the PDF to be generated with the fonts fully embedded. (As many as it can get)

We received in a rather large file a week ago and noticed that there were far more subset fonts than in the past. We investigated and then opened the original 17.4 file onto 17.01 - and the fonts became embedded upon creation.

Is this a known bug? Or, did Adobe take this away from us?

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out, This feature is still available in the latest version of InDesign which is 17.4 as mentioned here https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/pdf-options.html so please share a few more details, so that we can reproduce this on our end:

1. The version of the Operating System.
  2. Is this happening with a specific file or multiple files?
  3. Will it be possible for you to share the file with us?

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I can share the file. Please just tell me how. 

Open file in 17.01
Export PDF (with embed set to zero) - only 2-3 fonts are subset

Open file in 17.4 

Export PDF (with embed set to zero) - almost every single font is subset

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not clear why having the fonts subset (usually to the glyphs actually used) is a problem. Why would you want the entire bulky font embedded, in multiple?

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

James. Very simple. I work at a direct mail facility. I use automation to strip out what is going to be programmed. If I have the entire font, then I can immediately program. If not, I only have the subset and have to go through 3-5 more steps - which are ultimately very messy. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll take your word for it, but I can't quite visualize where the document design fonts and DM processing information intersect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, I would like to upload the file without the entire world being able to see it. Please tell me how. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2022 Aug 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I upload JUST to Adobe? These are customer files. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2022 Aug 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can attach it to one of these messages, and delete it later on. Any short sample file that exhibits the behavior for you is probably useful for someone else to try. Doesn't have to be your most proprietary material.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines