• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Embed HTML or Unicode directly to EPUB?

Community Expert ,
Jul 14, 2022 Jul 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may be too techno-wonky to even ask, but is there any way to encode a string in an InDesign document that will be passed as-is to EPUB, so that things like HTML or Unicode characters can be designated?

I have a dual-format book that uses the circled-one glyph, ①. In the print doc, I can use Wingdings, but that font doesn't pass reliably to EPUB or Kindle. If I swap in that HTML character code (①), it gets converted to '&amp#9312;' in the export text. I can edit that, but it's one more step I'd rather avoid.

So is there any way to get that string—and others like it—directly to the exported file?

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢
TOPICS
EPUB , How to , Import and export , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 15, 2022 Jul 15, 2022

Thanks, but I completely avoid specifying/embedding fonts in EPUB export (especially EPUB-for-Kindle export). The Wingdings glyph works fine in print; the HTML code works fine in EPUB and Kindle.

I guess the meta-question is whether there's any way to pass a raw, direct or 'escape' string to the export... but I'd bet not, based on what I know.

I have to edit this EPUB after export anyway; I'll just add this little fix to the list.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 15, 2022 Jul 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi James,

if you could manage to pass an OpenType font to that EPUB you could do your own font for the numbers in circles with e.g. IndyFont from Jongware and Marc Autret. The glyphs showing the numbers in circles could be at the usual Unicode code points for the numbers 1-9.

Just an idea…

( Not tested at all. )

https://www.indiscripts.com/category/projects/IndyFont

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 15, 2022 Jul 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, but I completely avoid specifying/embedding fonts in EPUB export (especially EPUB-for-Kindle export). The Wingdings glyph works fine in print; the HTML code works fine in EPUB and Kindle.

I guess the meta-question is whether there's any way to pass a raw, direct or 'escape' string to the export... but I'd bet not, based on what I know.

I have to edit this EPUB after export anyway; I'll just add this little fix to the list.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines