Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Embed section of pages to multiple INND documents

New Here ,
Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello folks,

Is there a way to have an INND document which is part of other documents embed into them? So when certain content changes from that "template" it automatically updates through the rest of documents?
We have different manual booklets. All of them have accessories and general information at the end of each. That last section is all the same for all manuals. We do update that section every once and awhile and we want to save the legwork of applying that update to every booklet manually.
Thanks in advance for your input.

TOPICS
Import and export , InCopy workflow

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a document for the last section and import it in the others. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats what we do currently. I was hoping there is a way that entire section updates automatially when the separate "template documents" gets updated. We have over 50 manuals, a word or image gets updated within accessories section, then we have to do 50 times "move pages". It's not a deal breaker, but it takes time and increases chances of missing some updates throughout the entire spread of manual booklets.

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you misunderstood my answer. I did not mean to move pages between documents, but import the common part in the others. So when you modify the master, the only thing you have to do is to update link in the other documents, as you do with modified images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Understood, will look into it how it works. I am familiar with images link updates, however was aware of entire section of document being able to update same way.

Thanks again for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*was not.. don't see edit post in here sorry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @jmlevy thanks again for taking the time to help me out with this.

I did try what you sugested and while it works great with single page, it get difficult when added document has multiple pages. Is there a way to add the entire "accessory" document which consists of over 15 pages to another document and repeat that process to all the rest manuals without adding page by page for each document?

Hope the above makes sense.

Thanks,

D.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you tick the “show import options” check box? It allows to import all the pages of the file. Of course, you need to place all the pages one after the other. I tried to use the “place multipage PDF” script to automatize the import, but it seems it does not work. Maybe someone else will help you on this point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi together,

for automatically placing PDFs, AIs and also InDesign pages, try MultiPageImporter, originally written by Scott Zanelli and now curated by Mike Edel:

https://github.com/mike-edel/ID-MultiPageImporter/releases

Note: I would not place InDesign pages, but PDF pages exported as PDF/X-4 files.

Why? Because you are able to work in a mixed environment with several versions of InDesign involved.

And the recieving InDesign document would be faster to handle.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines