Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Empty pages with placed Word file

New Here ,
Feb 06, 2023 Feb 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I have been working on a a pre-print of a book about 200 pages long (using Master pages) and sometimes InDesign desides to skip a page (i.e. leave it blank) and continue on the next one. I removed all Keep options to make sure this isn't the reason and it still does this. I have no overset text or images, as seen in story mode. I have no weird formatting other than simple chapter titles. However, the problem seems to pop up at random and doesn't seem to have to do with chapter titles. Funny thing is if I manually drag the box where the text continues into the blank page it actually works.

What could be the reason?

Thank you

Chris

TOPICS
Bug , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there anything identifiable or consistent about the breaks? Do they involve extra paragraph returns? Are they associated with particular styles or headings?

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turns out for some reason the text boxes weren't set to autoflow text in this particular instance! I simply used the square icon on the bottom right of the last page with text and placed the text in the next box... I don't know how that happens when I have master pages on...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It can occur if you use "Next Page" markers at the end of your chapters/sections in the MSWord document.

If you used those markers in your MSWord manuscript, InDesign can interpret that to move and leave a blank page in the document. One way to test is to go to one of those New page starts in your InDesign document and backspace once. If it goes backward before your "blank page" and to the end of your previous paragraph two pages back, that's likely your culprit.

Hope this helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Autoflow can be a little fussy. The most reliable way to bring a Word file into InDesign is to create a new document, set up facing Master pages, make sure Facing Pages and [Use] Primary Text Frame are checked in Document Setup.

Then, on the first blank page, use Place to select the Word file, usually with Import Options checked so you can control the import (and map styles, a big time saver)... and then use Shift-click to place the content in that first frame. It will autoflow to as many pages as it needs.

Not sure that clears up why you are getting blank pages, but unless you can match those gaps to specific content, it's easy enough to go through and close them up.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines