• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

End Notes and Book Files?

Engaged ,
Aug 16, 2021 Aug 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to use end notes in a project that is organized as an InDesign Book File? I've seen comments from a few years ago saying this feature/capability is missing. Has anything changed?

Update: by "Endnotes", I mean all the references in the back of the book, not at the end of the chapter, and not at the bottom of the page. 

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 17, 2021 Aug 17, 2021

Hi Marie,

no news on endnotes.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 17, 2021 Aug 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marie,

no news on endnotes.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the confirmation.

If I decide to use endnotes at the end of each chapter, I have two questions. Does anyone know the answers:

1) For works that are cited in multiple chapters, as a matter of correct "style", do I need to use the full form of the citation the first time it appears in each chapter?

2) Can I stop InDesign from starting over with "1" at the beginning of each chapter?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

> 1) For works that are cited in multiple chapters, as a matter of correct "style", do I need to use the full form of the citation the first time it appears in each chapter?

Probably, but that's decided by the publisher. If you're the publisher, then I'd say yes, that would be useful for the reader.

> 2) Can I stop InDesign from starting over with "1" at the beginning of each chapter?

If you mean the automatic chapter numbers, then yes, you can. Go to the Section numbering window (right-click a page in the Page panel, then select Numbering & Section options).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a community script for that, see End Notes to End of Book Notes.

Of the full list of community scripts (see https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/scripting.html) only a small handful are in fact in stalled with InDesign.

P.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I will check it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines