Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Endnote GREP issues

Enthusiast ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a text where there is a space before endnote marker. I want to remove it from the whole book.

This is what I am entering in Find: (\{0020})(~U)

But this expression is not finding the match at all. I have attached a screenshot. Number 5 is in paranthesis which is an Endnote. There is a space before it. I want to remove the space before it.

In the Replace Text box I will enter $2. (wrongly tryped in the attachment as $2$1)

It aint working.

Any help will highly be appreciated.

Thanks.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

This is an Adobe special. You're right, space+endnote marker doesn't find anything, whether you use \h, \s, \x{0020}, \x20, or even the literal space character. But ~F, the footnote marker, matches endnote markers as well. So you can look for \x20~F and remove the space.

Be careful with the note marker, you can't use it the way you did. To remove the space before note markers, use this:

Find what: \x{0020}(?=~F)

Change to: <leave empty>

(?=~F) is a lookahead: so the expression finds only t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should be 

\x{0020}

See if that works

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried \x{0020} but tht aint working

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well that's for space - so it worked for me. Unless it's not normal space

try \h instead. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eugene

Thanks for your effort but for some reason it is not working. If there is a space after an endnote reference its capturing that but it is not capturing it before the endnote. I have enlarged and taken a screenshot for your information.

I am stuck. Manually will take lot of time. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an Adobe special. You're right, space+endnote marker doesn't find anything, whether you use \h, \s, \x{0020}, \x20, or even the literal space character. But ~F, the footnote marker, matches endnote markers as well. So you can look for \x20~F and remove the space.

Be careful with the note marker, you can't use it the way you did. To remove the space before note markers, use this:

Find what: \x{0020}(?=~F)

Change to: <leave empty>

(?=~F) is a lookahead: so the expression finds only the spaces that are followed by a note marker but leaves the note marker alone.

P.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Wow 

Thanks so much Peter. It worked like a charm.

Thanks a ton.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines