Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Endnote roundtripping in file exported to an ePub

New Here ,
May 14, 2022 May 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am exporting an InDesign file to an ePub. The document has endnotes and I want readers to be able to tap an endnote number and be taken to the endnote and tap the endnote and be taken back to the reading place.

I cannot see a way to do this in InDesign. Any help would be most welcome, thanks in advance.

Rory

TOPICS
Bug , EPUB , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The short answer is that links both directions should be included. Click the note, go to the note; click the note's number, go back to the reference point.

It may depend on the reader you're using; I'd suggest testing it in Thorium to see if it works there.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
I am using Apple Books which usually works well. I shall try your suggestion thank you.
Rory

Get Outlook for iOS<>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ah. Apple Books is... off the main track on a lot of subtle EPUB interpretation points. It may be worth taking steps to optimize a book for sale under iTunes, but you will often want/need two different final exports in that case — one for Apple, and one that presents optimally in Thorium or another very standard reader.

That will leave the book with quirks in many other variant readers, but that's a fault of the slack adherence to standards in the EPUB world. Aim for the core, standards-based readers and let everyone else do their own tech support. 🙂

Short form, though, is that InDesign does cross-link or round-trip both footnotes and endnotes in EPUB export. If it doesn't work, it's a reader issue or a corrupted document.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines