Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Endnotes broken?

Explorer ,
Oct 23, 2022 Oct 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Indesign endnote fans,
I'm wondering if there's a problem/bug with endnotes or whether I'm expecting them to work in a way they were not designed to.

Do they only work correctly if applied in a single text flow or should they be consistent through separate text boxes?
In the example screengrabs, Endnote1.jpg shows three endnotes in the first two columns (which flow one to the other) and then two more in the box-out panel which are also consecutive.

However, as shown in Endnote2.jpg, when I add a new endnote below the box-out, Indesign renumbers the endnotes in the panel to be subsequent to the new one but which is actually below them rendering it very much out of order.

Any ideas most welcome.
Thanks, Yan

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the box-out panel inline / anchored in the main thread or standalone? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adobescripts, thanks for responding - the box-out is completely separate.
I'm guessing I should try anchoring it which I will try now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, no, making the box-out inline didn't help at all, result was exactly as before so it looks like the endnotes will only work correctly if applied to threaded text.
Oh well, thanks for the input.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't use endnotes so was just brainstorming - I think endnotes work with tables so anchored objects should work the same? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No worries, it's nice to have people pitching in.
The endnotes definitely seem to function oddly though.
They will be all happy and consecutive in an unthreaded text box up until further endnotes are inserted downstream in the flow, at which point, everything goes all mad!

Ah, well, by hand it is for the time being but I wish I knew if this was a bug or a feature.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have footnotes as well? Maybe - for the time being - you can use footnotes - with formatting that will hide them so they won't interact with your main text - and then convert them to endnotes?

I think footnotes are working much more predictable? 

Or it can always be scripted 😉 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Yan,

you could work around the issue if you do your "separate text" not with an extra text frame, but with the text flow of the other text. Use paragraph shading for that text. It's a paragraph property.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Expert )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Uwe, thanks for jumping in - yes, I'd considered that but what I showed was just for example and the actual job is a 70pp document with somewhat more elaborate box-outs plus various tables which will contain endnotes also.
These would also have to be within the text flow and I'm not sure that's going to be feasible.

cheers,
Yan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines