Endnotes Disappear

Explorer ,
Feb 28, 2022 Feb 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have one InDesign document with about 300 Footnotes. When I convert Footnotes to Endnotes I can't find the Endnotes frames. Where did it all go? I know the notes are there because I can reconvert them to Footnotes and they appear page by page.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

OK so none of that worked. But I did find a solution.

Footnotes to Endnotes went to a black hole. But Endnotes to Footnotes put them back in. (There must have been an Endnote Story in there somewhere under a rock.

OK so Footnotes are in the same Story as the text. Endnotes create a new Story either where you place the cursor or at the end of the document based on settings.

Solution

I created a brand new file with the same dimensions etc. I copied and pasted the main Story into the new document. That

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @GaryVCarter That's strange. Are you sure there isn't any overset text on the last page of the document that still needs to be placed onto new pages? Have you checked to see if the converted text is at the end when you edit in Story Editor? Is there something else in this particular document that is different, such as section numbering?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope nada ...

1. No overset text.

2. Not in the end in Story Editor.

3. No sections.

4. One story with all the Footnotes works perfectly. But when transferred to Endnotes the notes disappear.

I am wondering what would happen if I import to a new document.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay. Have you had any success with this yet? Did you try saving the document as an .idml and then reopening it and resaving back to .indd? Resetting your preferences? Have you run a full preflight check to see if there are any errors that might be causing the problem? Create a new profile and check every box, then go through the error list and eliminate or ignore them as needed. Let us know if you have any progress.

JainLemos_0-1646151948646.png

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gary,

you should be able to go to an individual endnote text by selecting the endnote in the main text and use a menu command that comes with the context menu. In my German version of InDesign this is "Gehe zu Endnotentext". In English perhaps something like: "Go to Text of Endnote".

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK so none of that worked. But I did find a solution.

Footnotes to Endnotes went to a black hole. But Endnotes to Footnotes put them back in. (There must have been an Endnote Story in there somewhere under a rock.

OK so Footnotes are in the same Story as the text. Endnotes create a new Story either where you place the cursor or at the end of the document based on settings.

Solution

I created a brand new file with the same dimensions etc. I copied and pasted the main Story into the new document. That is the version of the document that had Footnotes embedded in the main Story. There was only one Story for the text of the book. Then I converted Footnotes to Endnotes. And poof a new story appeared at the end of the document with all the Endnote data intact.

Thanks to all who offered their suggestions! Now if it ever happens to you try my solution!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"There must have been an Endnote Story in there somewhere under a rock."

Hm. Was the active layer set to invisible perhaps?

Just tested this. The converted endnote text frame will always be added on the active layer.

And when this layer is set to invisible you cannot find that frame. Hm. In such a case going to the endnote text with a menu command should show a info message box saying that the endnote text is either invisible or locked.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hadn't thought of that. Solid suggestion!

1. No invisible layers.

2. No overset text according to preflight panel.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One way to find out where the endnotes went is to take some text from a footnote (which doesn't also occur in the main text), convert the footnotes to endnotes, then search for that text., Make sure that you enable all the seach scopes: include master spreads, include locked items, etc.

P.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great idea ...

I hadn't seen the search scope icons before. You got my hopes up!

1. I found an obscure Footnote and copied it.

2. I converted to Endnotes and searched for that text.

3. "Find What" turned to "Find What: (Overset Text)". It found it. Getting warmer!

4. Preflight panel shows no Overset Text. Sigh! The frame is buried in there somewhere I suppose.

There must be a hidden Story frame with Endnotes buried somewhere but I don't know how to find it!

In any case when I created a new document and cut and paste the story with Footnotes then converted to Endnotes a new Endnote story showed up. So I am good. But still moving rocks and munching on chips in my spare time.

Thanks Peter!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can see overset text in the story editor -- Edit > Edit in Story editor. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope. Not there. That is strange isn't it?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But you wrote ""Find What" turned to "Find What: (Overset Text)". It found it.." It should be there somewhere, otherwise InDesign would have told you that it didn't find anything. Are all layers and all page items visible?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Uh huh. Everything is visible as far as I can tell.

No matter. Got it done anyway. Then the client said "Oh footnotes would have been fine." Don't you love it!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines