• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Endnotes Disappeared

Explorer ,
Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Somehow, most of my endnotes have mysteriously disappeared. I don't know if this issue is somehow related to my previous post about struggling to delete my title page. The only thing I've done was added this grep style: 

\<(\s?(\S+)){2}$
but I don't see how that has anything to do with it.
TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Yes, I did import them from Word, in fact. The thought would be horrific!!!! I literally spent 16 hours yesterday alone and was at the finish line. But, thankfully after reading your message, I found a solution. I converted the endnotes to footnotes, then back to endnotes again, and they all reappeared!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am guessing you've imported this document from Word.

Word end notes are fragile, and import into a separate text frame. It's very easy to delete that frame and all of its contents.

Unless you have versions of the ID file you can revert to, the only simple way to recover them is to start with a fresh, new placement of the original Word file.

But before that, check to make sure the Endnote frame and flow isn't simply "lost" off the end of your document pages. Add three or four pages to the document and see if they reappear.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I did import them from Word, in fact. The thought would be horrific!!!! I literally spent 16 hours yesterday alone and was at the finish line. But, thankfully after reading your message, I found a solution. I converted the endnotes to footnotes, then back to endnotes again, and they all reappeared!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great! I believe — but have not checked or tested — that that flip-flop brings the notes within the main text body, like footnotes. It's often that separation of content that makes endnotes a pain in the TOC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Out of curiosity, would this issue not exist if the file was imported from a PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, you can't precisely import from a PDF. You can place PDFs in an ID document, but they are more or less "live graphics" when you do that. And you can export from PDF to Word and import that. I don't know how the fine points of things like footnotes and endnotes would be handled.

Word has a lot of issues with features like endnotes, even within its own documents. Conversion often just multiplies the problems, even when the end goal is a static print document. When you try to get endnotes from Word to ID to EPUB... bring a helmet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 29, 2022 Jul 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

LOL! Helmet Strapped On!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines