• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Endnotes hover feature?

Contributor ,
Oct 04, 2023 Oct 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A client has requested that I match a feature she uses in Word when I'm designing reports in InDesign.

It allows a reader to hover over the endnote reference number in the main text (i.e. at the point where it shows superscipt 1 for endnote 1 appearing at the back of the report) and as it hovers it brings up a pop-up of the endnote text - allowing the reader to study the wording there rather than having to jump to the back of the report.

Is this possible in InDesign? Any help much appreciated.

Using InDesign 18.5 on Mac OS Sonama 14.0

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I don't expect it to work in InDesign, but you might be able to get that in a PDF exported as an Interactive PDF, have you tried that? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not clear how this applies to the OP's question except in a sense that endnotes are somehow broken, which doesn't appear to be the problem. ID simply doesn't have Word's pop-up feature for endnotes. Only by exporting to a reader format is a feature like that enabled, and as it doesn't appear to do so in PDF, EPUB would be the only solution.

If the client is used to sending live Word docs to readers... work in ID may present some problems for that usage flow.

┋┊ InDesign to Kindle (& EPUB): A Professional Guide, v3.0 ┊ (Amazon) ┊┋

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Brighton Lance ,

I usually solve this by having two (or more) layout frames open for the same document.

One that is showing the main story and one that is showing the story with the endnotes.

You can scroll independently in both layout frames; also different zoom levels are possible.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Expert )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2024 Feb 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey @Brighton Lance 
have you found a way to make hover effects for endnotes in InDesign? I have the same/similar problem. It would be really nice if there were an opportunity to highlight the clicked endnote like the “active” effect of hyperlinks.

best regards

Sebastian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 10, 2024 Feb 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sebastian,

hm, I wonder who marked your question as the Correct Answer here.

Best I'll undo this, because this issue is not resolved in this thread.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Expert )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2024 Feb 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Uwe, I was surprised about it too.

best regards

sebastian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines