• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Endnotes in Arabic or RTL documents not linked to text.

New Here ,
Jan 31, 2021 Jan 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I use the World-Ready Composer for paragraphs, in a RTL document (Arabic for instance), the link from the endonotes back to the text stays on the left and does not follow the endnote number which is now on the right. this means that the link is at the end of the endnote (or the end of the first line) and the reader won't find it in an interactive PDF. 

Is there a way to make it stay with the number and switch to the right side?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

TOPICS
Bug , How to , Import and export , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Maya,

could be a bug. Report it at InDesign UserVoice:

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs

Note: There are other obstacles as well with endnotes linking back to the endnote numbers in the text.

See my bug report here where I discovered some:

Text formatting can break backlinking endnote texts to endnote refs when exported to PDF (Print)

Uwe Laubender, Nov 27, 2020

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/42062446-text-formattin...

FWIW: I did not test your case yet. Will do and come back.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that I looked into your PDF and your InDesign document:

That's definitely a bug! As I already said:

Report it at InDesign UserVoice:

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs

Found no workaround yet…

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 04, 2021 Feb 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't get it, are you referring to the endnote numbers being on the right? see below in red

endnote.jpg

If this is what is bothering you, I beleive the numbers are in the right spot being the document is Right-to-Left binding

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Zaid Al Hilali,

it's not the position or the typography that goes wrong.

What is not working in the exported PDF:

You should be able to click the endnote number in the text and you will automatically be moved to the endnote text.

And if you are at the endnote text you should be able to click the endnote number at the endnote text and be moved to the endnote number in the text.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Laubender,

Thanks for explaining the issue. I confirm that when I insert an Endnote in the Middle Eastern version of InDesign, the number is not an active hyperlink in the Interactive PDF. However, I just downloaded International English version of InDesign for the sake of testing, and the behaviour is just the same there, no interactive hyperlink for the endnote.

It is either my skills with Endnote/footnote been rusty for not using them in the past number of years, or I'm missing a step somewhere. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh. That could be hit or miss even in my German version.

For details what is working ( and what fails to work ) and what is needed to make it work for PDF export see:

Text formatting can break backlinking endnote texts to endnote refs when exported to PDF (Print)

Uwe Laubender, Nov 27, 2020

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/42062446-text-formattin...

Best,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines