• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Endnotes out of order

Contributor ,
Nov 02, 2017 Nov 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am inserting endnotes in Indesign using the new endnote feature.  When I inserted the first endnote, it assigned the endote as number 1 and took me to the endnote frame.  However, when I inserted the next endnote, it automatically inserted that endnote as "1" an renumbered the first endnote (at the beginning of the document as "2".  And when I inserted the next endote, it assigned that as "2", and the second endnote is still "1" and the first endnote (at the beginnning of the document) is now "3".  What on earth is going on, and how do I fix it?   I am running Indesign CC version 13.0 x64.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's worked for me when I've done it. Try restoring your preferences. Here's how:

Trash, Replace, Reset, or Restore the application Preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

What was the order in which the frames were created? Frames in which you insert the endnote.

What are thier page numbers?

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The frame for the first endnote was created first.  This is actually a file where I had created endnotes manually after copying from Word by inserting the number manually and inserting the text manually at the back of the document.   I did that right before the latest version of Indesign came out, which now has the endnote feature.  I was deleting the old manual numbers and text and inserting the automatic endnotes.   That should not have made a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Are all the frames on the same page? Can you post screenshots or perhaps share your file?

-Aman

amaarora@adobe.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I had the same problem and worked out how to fix it.

Basically, it seems as though the endpoints work off of the order in which the text boxes are linked together (assuming you have text which flows between multiple boxes / stories).

I have an 80+ page doc, with hundreds of references. After trying to insert endnote 21, it kept putting it where endpoint 17 had been.

The solution, in the end was quite easy.

• You'll need to go into each text box and use the Split Story Script:
  • Window > Utilities > Scripts > Application > Samples > Javascript > SplitStory.jsx
  • Simply work through your doc, and double click on the script with your cursor in each linked box.
  • In the end, you'll have a doc full of unlinked boxes (which sometimes isn't a bad thing, especially if you're at the end of the project and don't want your text to jump around anyway

Once you've done that, try inserting a new endpoint, and voila, it'll pick up with the correct reference.

Hope that helps.

E

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just as a footnote to this -

Even after unlinking all the text boxes, I still then had to copy and past the odd box to a new, blank, empty document - then past it back into the original document before the endnotes went into the right position.

Hope that helps.

E

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2021 Oct 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked after I did this! Never would have thought to do that. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 01, 2023 May 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me as well. Thanks a mil @ThorstenG 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2019 Jan 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! One click on the SplitStory script and all my endnotes went into the right order!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2024 Feb 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've found that the LAYER ORDER helps. For each page, make sure that the layer order of the text boxes is in reverse order (make a "text layer" and a separate layer for any shapes/images that need to be behind the text). For example, the textbox that should be read first will be at the bottom of the text layer, the text box that should be read second will be second-to-last in the layer panel, and so on. If the layer order is correct, then you should not have to split your stories/unlink text threads.

Why? The new endnotes are coded to be accessible when exported to PDF. Becasue layer order informs accessibility reading order, I assume that layer order also infomrs insertion order of endnotes. After properly ordering text boxes in the layer panel, I have not had any issues with endnoes appearing out of order.

Here's an Adobe community discussion on the layer and reading order: https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/how-to-set-pdf-reading-order-in-indesign/td-p/91...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2019 Apr 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't work. Removed all the endnote references, didn't do what was advertised.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines