Exit

Endnotes unlinked in alternate layout

Explorer ,
May 19, 2018 May 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ID 13.1

Mac OS 10.13.4

I've created a book's interior pages using text imported from Word, which included endnotes. Both the text and the endnotes were placed in Assignments so my editor could work on the copy.

All is fine with the endnote links in my original layout. However, in creating an alternate layout for a large print version, the endnotes are no longer linked to the reference numbers. That reference number, both in the endnote text and as the superscript character within the body text, display as <?>.

Is there something I should have done differently?

When I created the alternate layout, I checked Link Stories, Copy Text Styles to New Style Group, and Smart Text Reflow. However, I did not check out the assignments before creating the alternate layout (I don't know if that's necessary or not).

How can I re-establish those links?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Mark

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Endnotes were never designed to work with alternate layouts, as far as I know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, that seems…weird. This is the first time I've used alternate layouts so I assume I'm not clear on how it's supposed to work. My impression was that the first layout's text is used as the source for subsequent layouts. If that's the case, I don't understand why the links would be broken. On the other hand, my understanding the why of that (I understand endnotes are a relatively new feature in ID 2018) is less important than finding a good solution.

Must all 50 endnotes be recreated or is there a more efficient way to rebuild the links?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 21, 2018 May 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mark,

you have one chance not to rebuild endmotes in the alternate layout.

But maybe only before you created the alternate layout:

With only one layout in the document and some endnotes showing:

1. Make sure that all text frames of the original layout that contain endnotes are threaded to one single story.

2. Change the preferences for endnotes so that the numbering is story related and not document related.

3. Do your alternate layout.

InDesign might now throw in one new page in the wrong size or orientation that contains the endnotes of the alternate layout.

Move, do not copy/paste, just move the frame of the endnotes from that page to the one that contains the wrong end note signs showing <?>.

Remove the frame with the false note signs. Remove the now empty page with the false size or orientation that should be empty now after you moved the endnote frame of the alternate layout.

If you now add new endnotes to your original layout the alternative layout should reflect that as well after updating the linked stories in the Links Panel.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In ID2022 I created a letter size version of a 24 page document with 5 endnotes. I then created a alternate A4 layout. Indesign doubled my end notes to 10 endnotes, and the start of the A4 version starts with endnote 6 and ends with endnote 10. Both documents show 10 end notes with the 5 orginal endnotes repeated twice.
I think I am going to have to save this as two separate documents with only one set of layouts each. A letter size version, and a A4 version. Rather then two layouts in one document.

Anyone else have some bright ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 13, 2022 Apr 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines