• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

english + chinese text - chinese appears as glyphs....how to find/replace glyphs with another font

New Here ,
Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created a Word doc with English text and Chinese characters using Helvetica CY. I copy and paste this into Indesign and the Chinese text appears as glyphs....I'm working on a huge document and have had to manually change each glyph to a recognisable Chinese font, but there must be a way to find all the pink glyphs and in one go, change them to another Chinese font that makes the Chinese characters re-appear?!!!

Can anyone help me with this? Thanks...I'm a beginner with Indesign.

TOPICS
How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

A GREP search for <[\x{2E80}-\x{9FBB}]+> will find most CJK chars in Unicode's first plane, allowing you to change the font and apply a character style. Note that this is not complete, missing some full-width punctuation at the far end of the base plane, and it doesn't touch the many thousands of CJK chars. in the 2nd plane.

Good luck,

David

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens when you properly choose File > Place instead of Copy and Paste?

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works when I Place in a new document but when I Place it in the one I'm working on it looks like the attached and I have to laboriously delete spaces, line by line. (and I can't get rid of the black line!)

Lee

InDesign issue.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn on Show Hidden Characters and open the story in the Story Editor from the View menu. What is causing the extra lines you have to delete? If there is a hidden character, show a screen shot so we can help identify it. You shouldn't have to delete the spaces line by line.

For the black line, check:

• Character panel > Underline
  • Paragraph panel menu > Borders
  • Paragraph panel menu > Paragraph Rules > Below

and let us know if any of these solve it.

You do need to use Character styles when part of the paragraph is using Chinese characters. You can create and apply the Character style in Word if that's easier. If it has the exact same name in both Word and InDesign, it will come in automatically.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Consumer apps like Word will often pick a random font if you try to use characters outside the current font. This is poison for professional typesetting, so there is no automatic process. You MUST choose a font with Chinese characters for each Chinese character. Of couse you should be using a character style for this, never changing the font!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A GREP search for <[\x{2E80}-\x{9FBB}]+> will find most CJK chars in Unicode's first plane, allowing you to change the font and apply a character style. Note that this is not complete, missing some full-width punctuation at the far end of the base plane, and it doesn't touch the many thousands of CJK chars. in the 2nd plane.

Good luck,

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And it can be set up in a GREP Style as well. When done properly this works fast, reliable, and independent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2020 Aug 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow...thanks guys - this support is amazing....the Grep search just made my life soooo much easier!...and going forward, I'll definitely be using Styles!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am wondering if someone can help me. I have used the GREP search which allows me to change the Chinese charachter style. But commas and other punctiation are still showing up as missing glyphs.

Any help would be really apprecaiated. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, when I know I have a document that only has Chinese and English in it, I use a brute-force regular expression:

[\x{0100}-\x{FFFF}]+

It does catch all of the fullwidth punctuation that David mentions upthread. I won't use this regex  in any kind of multilingual document, because it catches pretty much everything outside of Basic Latin. So it'd apply the same style to Chinese, Japanese, Russian, Arabic, Thai, you name it. But if you know that it's Chinese only (or Basic Latin + Chinese only) then it should catch all of your stragglers. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh wow, this worked! Thanks so much. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines