Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Entire book text gone after Parent Change

Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2022 Nov 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, 

I had an entire book set in Indesign with approx 340 pages. I applied a new parent to the first page and entered a page break to the following text; so the header would stand alone. Unfortunately, I saved at that point, and only realised later that my entire body text (after the page break) had disappeared. At the same time, strangely the total page count of the document has doubled to almost 700. The file still has 70MB. My hope is that the body text is still there - but I somehow made it disappear by messing with the Parent page AND adding a page break? Thanks for any help possible! 

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Nov 18, 2022 Nov 18, 2022

Yes, I suspect it is still there, but Keep Options (including page breaks) is not allowing it to show up. You will feel better if you click in a text frame and choose Edit > Edit in Story Editor. After you see the content, close Story Editor, take a deep breath and consider the next steps.

1. Can you choose undo multiple times to get back to where the content was visible? (You can undo after saving).
  2. Are you using styles, or manual formatting?
  3. How did you add the Page Break, exactly?
  4. Can you ret

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Nov 18, 2022 Nov 18, 2022

If the whole text been in the same thread / story as the main title shown on screenshots - then it is unfortunately gone...

Unless somehow first TextFrame got duplicated... so the original file would be needed to investigate.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Nov 22, 2022 Nov 22, 2022

Just a huge Thank You again, Barb. Your advise here has been amazing! It turned out the text was lost indeed, and I have reset all of it over the weekend. It turned out better than before. So fate just wanted me to complete a better version of the layout and font-setting, I guess... 🙂 Thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I suspect it is still there, but Keep Options (including page breaks) is not allowing it to show up. You will feel better if you click in a text frame and choose Edit > Edit in Story Editor. After you see the content, close Story Editor, take a deep breath and consider the next steps.

1. Can you choose undo multiple times to get back to where the content was visible? (You can undo after saving).
  2. Are you using styles, or manual formatting?
  3. How did you add the Page Break, exactly?
  4. Can you return to Story Editor, click on a paragarph and choose Opt+Cmd+K or Alt+Ctrl+K and share a screen shot of your Keep Options?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Barb. This is a great feature I did not know about. Unfortunately, the Story Editor only shows the Heading below which I had set the page break. If I go to the empty pages further down and click into their text empty field, still only the text of the header shows up. -- But then there is suddenly another 350 pages at the end of my document, and for these I cannot even click into a text field? It seems as if it has disappeared and pages are completely blank...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe these help. They show the parent spread, as well as the Story Editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also to mention, I still have the book as Word.doc. If this InDesign file is now corrupted or I messed it up, I paid a whole day of work for it, but not the entire book, luckily...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like it's gone 😞

Can you share it for further investigation? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still not convinced it is gone, it would be helpful to see the first screen shot with Type > Show Hidden Characters enabled.

And are you comfortable sharing the file? You can put it on dropbox and share a link here (public) or message it to me (private) by clicking my avatar above this response and selecting message. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the whole text been in the same thread / story as the main title shown on screenshots - then it is unfortunately gone...

Unless somehow first TextFrame got duplicated... so the original file would be needed to investigate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2022 Nov 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a huge Thank You again, Barb. Your advise here has been amazing! It turned out the text was lost indeed, and I have reset all of it over the weekend. It turned out better than before. So fate just wanted me to complete a better version of the layout and font-setting, I guess... 🙂 Thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 23, 2022 Nov 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm always happy to help, @Gregor5FC4. And so glad to hear you are back on track.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines