• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

eps files disappearing in InDesign 2021 16.3.2

Explorer ,
Aug 12, 2021 Aug 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to InDesign 2021 16.3.2 and now when I import an eps file it doesn't show up, or only partially shows when I'm vewing the layout in "high quality display" mode. If I switch to "typcial display" it's visible again. Some eps files come in ok, but if I rotate them, they disappear completely.  I'm on Mojave OS, on an older model iMac. Is this a known bug?

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Aug 12, 2021 Aug 12, 2021

The eps format has not been updated since the 1990s. There can be no expectation therefore that versions of InDesign that use code 30 years more advanced will be able to comfortably accommodate such an old format. Eps had its heyday back before InDesign came around and most people were using QuarkXpress for page layout. Since Quark was not an Adobe product it lacked the necessary coding to be able to integrate Illustrator's native format so an Encapsulated Postscript—which is a self-contained fi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Aug 13, 2021 Aug 13, 2021

Hi John,

I tried unchecking the GPU acceleration box in InDesign preferences and it worked! The image became visable.

I'm not sure exactly what this means. Does my old iMac just not have enough precessor power? Is there any downside to keeping the GPU acceleration off while I'm working?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Aug 13, 2021 Aug 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen shot of how the .ai file shows up in InDesign. Below, jpeg file shows what the logo is supposed to look like. 

Screen Shot 2021-08-13 at 8.13.48 AM.pngchristmas web banner300x100.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 13, 2021 Aug 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 16, 2021 Aug 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premier Pro CC said:

"I tried unchecking the GPU acceleration box in InDesign preferences and it worked! The image became visable."

Hi Premier Pro CC,

tested your EPS and PDF from AI as well: No issues so far with my German InDesign 2021 version 16.3.0.24 on Windows 10. Placement is fast, working with the placed EPS is super smooth. My view is "High Quality".

So indeed it's a incompatibility or bug with GPU Display on your machine.

Not that I wonder…

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 16, 2021 Aug 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks so much, Uwe, and everyone else who chimed in with suggestions. I really appreciate your time and expertise. These workarounds should do the trick until I upgrade to a new iMac. 

Erin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines