• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

epub export from Indesign does not use cropping in file

Explorer ,
Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a very large book with images on each page. Some of these images are cropped down by placing the image in an image frame. These images are anchored inline. During the epub export I have "use existing layout" activated. Is there a different setting I should use to ensure that all images are cropped to the image frame? I'm using InDesign CC, latest version, exporting to epub 3.0.

Thanks in advance for assistance! Janet

TOPICS
EPUB , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

I suspect you are bypassing ID's export conversions, which could have the effect you're reporting. You almost figured it out.

In EPUB export, Object, if either of the first two checkboxes are checked, uncheck them. (Got that? Check!) Either "Preserve Appearance" or "Use Existing Image" could cause the export to ignore the image frame as a cropping boundary.

—

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ooops, I didn't clarify my issue in my original post. All pictures are within an image frame. The images that are larger than the image frame are showing up in the export epub as full-size images. I need these images to be cropped in the export. What setting is best to use to ensure that the images are cropped?

Thanks! Janet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect you are bypassing ID's export conversions, which could have the effect you're reporting. You almost figured it out.

In EPUB export, Object, if either of the first two checkboxes are checked, uncheck them. (Got that? Check!) Either "Preserve Appearance" or "Use Existing Image" could cause the export to ignore the image frame as a cropping boundary.

—

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most awesome assistance NitroPress!!! I unchecked the top checked box under "Object" during the ePUB export. That did not correct the issue. I have set each photo with its own setting under object export options. I went into that setting for the photo in question and set the "Preserve Appearance From Layout" to "default." This along with the unchecked boxes in "Object" at ePUB export were correct at viewing. Thank so much!!! - Janet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Interesting. How did the individual photos get set to anything but 'default'? I went through some of my working projects and can't find a photo that isn't default. (I don't think I've ever used the object-level settings, but I can see where they would fix some specific problems. I've overlooked this option for too long...)

But glad you plugged on through to a solution! EPUB is a little weird in that there is no real cropping function in HTML/CSS, so allowing ID to re-process the image with the bounding box is essential.

—

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines