• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ePUB export image color change

Explorer ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The ePUB export process changes colors in JPEGs placed in my InDesign document. Any idea why and if there's a way to avoid this? 

InDesign v15.1.2

MacOS 10.14.6

Happens regardless of what seetings I select in the ePUB export dialog (except of course "Use existing image for graphic objects," which makes no changes to the graphics at all).

I do want to use InDesign for cropping and scaling the images. But I don't want InDesign to change the color values of the image.s

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried opening those images on photoshop and re-exporting for web use to make sure you color profiles are correct for web?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 01, 2020 Nov 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The source image was generated using Photoshop's Save for Web tool. It uses the RGB color space and has an embedded profile: sRGB IEC61966-2.1. The image's background color is r197 g44 b47.

After ePUB export, the image has no embedded profile, and its background color is CHANGED to r167 g75 b72.

The actual color values are changed. Opening the image in Photoshop and re-exporting for web use after the fact makes no difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 13, 2022 May 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NM

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 01, 2020 Nov 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you direct select the image, is sRGB listed as its profile in the Links Info panel? Also is your document’s assigned RGB profile also sRGB (Edit>Assign Profiles..., not the Color Settings RGB Working Space). And is the document’s Transparency Blend Space set to RGB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. The color profile of the linked illustration is sRGB, and the assigned profile in InDesign is also sRGB. Once I do the export, the colors are paler and I lose a lot from the original RGB color values. It looks more like what would be a CMYK output. Transparency Blend Space is set to RGB

Do you have any idea why this is happening?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What PDF settings did you apply?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Willi,
Thanks for your answer!
With EPUB export I don't get any PDF options, only this that could be related to the image export:

Screenshot 2022-05-13 at 15.06.22.png

The other thing I guess could be related is the color settings of the doc, and here is what I have there:
Screenshot 2022-05-13 at 15.08.45.png

Am I missing something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a minor point, but never use Progressive format. It's an obsolete option from the very-slow-web days. Probably no effect one way or the other on color.

Photoshop Save for Web is possibly not the best choice, either. While EPUB is HTML-based, readers aren't browsers and rarely interpret things like color space the same way.

I don't think I've ever had significant color shift from ID export. In general, I'd try to put the source images in the same overall format and profile as the export, then adjust the colors.

ETA: are you looking at the actual JPEGs as embedded in the EPUB to see an actual values shift, or is this a reader/presentation issue? What reader are you using, and have you tried a few others for comparison?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2022 Jun 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I JUST fixed this by changing the PNGs I exported to JPEGS.

See if that works. It worked for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, that wasn't it. I had to go in and "convert to profile" and it was set to CMYK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay-- So files have to be exported as PDFs to look right! Sorry for the prev. answers-- can't seem to delete, but this actually solves the issue!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What were you exporting to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines