ePub fixed layout tested with Pagina (app) says.....could not be decrypted

Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again,

ePub fixed layout tested with Pagina (app) says:

How could I fix these errors?

ePub fixed layout tested with Pagina (app).

File "OEBPS/font/TimesNewRomanPS-BoldMT.ttf" could not be decrypted.

File "OEBPS/font/MinionPro-Regular.otf" could not be decrypted.

File "OEBPS/font/TimesNewRomanPS-ItalicMT.ttf" could not be decrypted.

File "OEBPS/font/TimesNewRomanPSMT.ttf" could not be decrypted.

How could I fix these errors?

"RSC-004" what does it mean?

Thank you!

TOPICS
EPUB , How to , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Licensed fonts are encrypted (protected) by InDesign to prevent users from ripping the font files from the epub (which is a zip archive and its file contents can be opened with any zip unarchiver).

Readers must support the encryption method (there are two encryption / obfuscation methods: Adobe and IDPF. If one of these methods to obfuscate is used, software like Pagina may not be able to decrypt the font files.

(PS if you are using InDesign CS6: there was a problem with its epub font encryption, if I recall correctly, which cause errors even in software that supports both encryption methods!)

Anyway, the simple solution is to open your epub in Sigil, right-mouse click each font in the fonts folder and set the Font Obfuscation to "None". Then save the file and test again.

However, this is ILLEGAL unless you have purchased a font license that allows for epub (digital ebook) inclusion or are using a font that is license free.

Minion Pro and Times New Roman PS are not allowed to be embedded in an epub without encrypting them. If this is an issue for you, you will have to replace these with alternate fonts that are allowed and/or licensed to be embedded without encryption.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot Rayek for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2024 Apr 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it illegal to set obfuscation to none even if you pay for Adobe licensing for end-user products? I've read that (clipped from Adobe's font licensing page): The fonts are licensed for embedding in any ebook format which protects the font data such as EPUB, iBooks, Kindle (mobi), Adobe's Digital Publishing Suite (DPS), and PDF

You're saying it's illegal unless you have purchased a font license, which I pay for via Adobe every month. But, unfortunately, they mention nothing about encryption nor do they mention obfuscation, so I'd love clarification!

Most times, I have my authors choose a Google font for their epubs, but I have de-obfuscated fonts under the Adobe license in the past and have then given my clients the finished ebook file as an end-user product.

Any input would be appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 16, 2024 Apr 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Embedding fonts in ebooks is outdated and amateurish. The technical/legal details are secondary if not irrelevant.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines