• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

EPUB: What would cause this difference?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 10, 2022 Jun 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Attaching screenshots of a given chapter of a book; one in the Kindle app and one in the Apple Books app. In the Kindle, it shows both "Twenty-Two" above the title and then the number 22 prior to the chapter title. In Apple books, the numerical 22 isn't shown. Why would this be?

I'm trying to have the chapter numbers spelled out above the chapter title, but then in the TOC have the chapters numbered like:

1. [Chapter 1 title]

2. [Chapter 2 title]

This is a reflowable epub.

TOPICS
EPUB , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 10, 2022 Jun 10, 2022

Well, my first six tricks didn't work. I am tempted to say it can't be done, at least not as a straightforward setup.

The only solution I see is (1) use no autonumbering at all and then (2) edit toc.xhtml in the exported EPUB. I try to avoid that kind of file surgery for many reasons but see no other easy solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are these from the same EPUB, or separate exports?

Don't auto-number the chapter headings in any way. Use auto-numbered TOC styles.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same epub file, different reading apps.

I've tried setting the TOC style to auto-number, but the TOC on the readers seems to ignore it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm. I was sure I had accomplished something like that, but a quick test shows both Kindle Previewer and Thorium discard the TOC numbering.

The Apple reader is anomalous in many ways (vs. most EPUB readers and Kindle), so I am not surprised it shows the numbers when the others don't.

There are a lot of options including things like conditional text. I will tinker with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, my first six tricks didn't work. I am tempted to say it can't be done, at least not as a straightforward setup.

The only solution I see is (1) use no autonumbering at all and then (2) edit toc.xhtml in the exported EPUB. I try to avoid that kind of file surgery for many reasons but see no other easy solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines