• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Erroneous Type 1 warning

Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2021 Nov 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is anyone else seeing an erroneous Type 1 font warning when you open a document in InDesign 17? The blue warning I see says there are 50 type 1 fonts in the document. However the document only has 14 fonts and none of them are type 1 fonts. So I'm perplexed why InDesign thinks there are 50 type 1 fonts in the documents.

I deleted the font•.lst files in the Library/Application Support/Adobe/Font folder. There were 2 files from 2003 and 2006. And once I deleted those, InDesign stopped putting up the blue warning for a day. But the warning is appearing again.

The obnoxious thing about the blue warning is that if I've sized the InDesign wordspace narrow, then the warning runs off the side of the screen and there is no way to dismiss it without closing the window and opening a new one.

I'm guessing that the 50 type 1 fonts InDesign finds are type 1 fonts on my MacBook, and not type 1 fonts in the document as Type->Find/Replace Font… shows there are just 14 fonts in the document and none of them are type 1 fonts. Which means that whatever code is used when you open a document to find out the number and type of fonts in the document is different than the code used when you select Type->Find/Replace Font….

I contacted Adobe Support and they say the problem is because I am using 3rd party fonts. This is what Adobe Support wrote to me: "I would request you to please reach or contact with the font manufacturer and check with them. As adobe will not recommend to use any third party fonts with the application."

Has Adobe Support told anyone else to only use Adobe fonts with InDesign?

TOPICS
Bug , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"This is what Adobe Support wrote to me: "I would request you to please reach or contact with the font manufacturer and check with them. As adobe will not recommend to use any third party fonts with the application.""

Hi Daniel,

what a crazy statement!

What I already tested are Type 1 fonts in a Document fonts folder. And I found that all styles are counted by the Type 1 messenger system even when I used only one of the various styles of one font family in my document.

And yes, there are others as well that see misleading messages about the number of Type 1 fonts used in a document. Still I cannot see this issue on my Windows 10 machine. Perhaps this is a bug with InDesign 2022 version 17.0.0.96 on Mac OS only? Don't know…

Could you share a document where this happens?

I'd like to test it on my Windows system.

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read that poorly-phrased sentence as "Adobe will not take responsibility if you use third-party fonts"--not that you should never use them.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here a link to a discussion with a similar issue:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/confused-on-acceptable-fonts-to-use-in-indesign-...

FWIW: The reason for the bug is not quiet clear.

Never had the chance to get access to a document showing the issues.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines