• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error: Cannot Place this file. No filter found for requested operation

New Here ,
Feb 05, 2023 Feb 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, could someone please help me. I'm new to adobe on all fronts. I'm trying to create a digital planner. I seen a youtube video of someone placing a excel spreadsheet into a text box on adobe Indesign with the text flow on, allowing each page to show a different date of the year saving time typing it in manually. I am trying to do this myself but I am using 'Numbers' on my macbook. I have copied every step down to a T but using numbers intead however when trying to place the document into the text box I am met with... Error: Cannot Place this file. No filter found for requested operation.

I am not amazing at technical terms, so could somebody please explain in the simpilist way. Thank you in advance! 

TOPICS
How to , InCopy workflow

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Export the spreadsheet to .xls or .xlsx. ID probably does not have an import filter for the Numbers file type.

I think a simple text file, with one number per line, would also work for this process.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just did a test of exporting from Numbers. One of your options is to export as an Excel spreadsheet.

If you're lucky, InDesign may accept the Numbers-created Excel spreadsheet, but I just did an example where it gave the same error you got. Unforunately, I'd suggest you might need to actually have Excel to resave  the spreadsheet into a version that InDesign will use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, in two examples I tried, I had to open the Numbers-exported into Excel, and resave it to succeed, I'm afraid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I guessed this might've been the case! So no fix other than using excel to import to ID?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since you apparently don't have Excel, you'll probably have to type the numbers into your layout,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Export to any text format, with one number per line ended with a paragraph return. I don't know what Numbers offers, but Excel and Google Sheets both offer several configurable variations of CSV, tab delimited etc.

You don't need anything fancy here; all the spreadsheet is doing is very quickly generating that separated number list. All ID needs is the numbers, as paragraphs you can place and apply a style to.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines