• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error encountered while reading TIFF image.

Contributor ,
Oct 25, 2022 Oct 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I try to place TIFF images rendered from Blender and get the error "Error encountered while reading TIFF image. Image may be damaged or incompatible."
While this was no problem at all in all previous versions of Indesign (2022, 2021, …) version 2023 can't handle them anymore. Also opening files previously created with version 2022 containing those tiff's can be openend, however, I get errors trying to make pdf's and they show grey.
Open them and resave in photoshop, without changing any settings, solves this issue, however, I have hundreds Indesign files containing much of those files.

The TIFF's are saved with zip compression, since all others (LZW, No compression) gives me images where the transparency is shown black, so no option for me.

In the future I can use other file formats for my render, but I would like to continue use my old TIFF's.
I attached 1 example image.

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Except Tiff, only png files will support the transparency function you are looking for.

Regarding the existing tiff files, the only think I could think of is to use in Photoshop an 'automated Save As'

From the File menu > Script > image processor.

You can select a folder, set every image to be resaved as a tiff, with the same name, size and location. 

I downloaded the tiff file you shared and was able to place it in a new InDesign document, no errors. I use the version 17.4 x64 but it did not work with 18.0 x64.

Something to report to Adobe InDesign (uservoice.com)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for helping looking into this!

For now, all my new renders are being saved as webp files, which Indesign apparently accept with no problem. And even with 100% quality they are so light.
I am aware of the batch, image processor possibilities in photoshop, and I use this whenever I need to work on an older file with tiff images linked to, however, greater would be if this bug (at least I think it is) is fixed, so I can continue work without resaving files.

I reported this issue yesterday on uservoice and it seems to be "under review", so fingers crossed 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the images saved on a cloud service like Dropbox?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, either on the local hard drive or server, all with same errors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But the question is: Belongs it to a drive which is part, even the local one, of such a service?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no, not at all, in no way linked or synced with a cloud service.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @jocstone_me ,  Files saved from non Adobe apps are a constant problem with ID.

You could also batch to PSDs, which would save transparency without needing to check any use transparency boxes. This JS run from Photoshop is very fast—asks you for a folder of TIFs and creates a new folder named PSDs at the root of the TIF folder (tested in PS2021):

var f = Folder.selectDialog("Select the folder containing .TIF files"); 
if(f != null){ 
    fa = f.getFiles(/\.(tif)$/i);
}

var psdF = Folder(f + "/PSDS")
psdF.create()
var so = new PhotoshopSaveOptions({alphaChannels:false, embedColorProfile:true, layers:true});

for (var i = 0; i < fa.length; i++){
    var of = open (fa[i]);
    var n = of.name.replace(/\.[^\.]+$/, '');
    n = n+".psd";
    of.saveAs(new File(psdF + "/" + n), so, true);
    of.close(SaveOptions.DONOTSAVECHANGES);  
};

This folder of 4 30MB tifs took less than 2 sec to convert

Screen Shot 25.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes thank you for helping out, but I know, I have several scripts and automator actions to rapidly save any image to any other fileformat, however, thats not my real problem, Indesign could previously handle those TIFF's, and I expect that in the new 2023 version also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 27, 2022 Oct 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I’d be surprised if it gets fixed right away—variations of your problem come up all the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 27, 2022 Oct 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tested it using the file @jocstone_me shared. It worked with InDesign 17.4 but same error message with version 18. The tiff file was saved on my desktop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines